Blackrain is in a loop
Searched forums and can't seem to find a similar situation:
3.1.2 baseband 5.12
SHSH on Cydia
Using Blackrain RC3 on PC (both Vista and XP builds)
Phone locked up today and went into DFU (as it should on reboot), so I attached the phone to the computer as I have before and started Blackrain to restart the phone. After running Blackrain it goes through the standard process that we all know, but on reboot it returns to DFU mode and Blackrain runs again (in a looping pattern).
I've downloaded Blackrain again, changed USB ports, changed PCs, rebooted, stopped running services, pressed buttons in various suggested configurations, danced a voodoo dance (OK - so not the last one).
I obviously can't "prove" that my phone didn't somehow get upgraded, but when I hooked it up to my PC last night it was still on 3.1.2 per iTunes.
Am I missing (or forgetting) something, or do I need to do a restore to get the phone to function again?
I think that's all the information needed, but please feel free to ask more if you need clarification.
Thanks in advance for any info on this one!
- 03-17-2010, 03:35 AM #2
- 03-17-2010, 03:38 AM #3
Based on the symptoms, I would agree with you, but I thought they could only upgrade to 3.1.3 via an iTunes thether.
Since I know that it wasn't done this way (I know, I know...It's been said 1000x before by 1000x other noobs, but your going to have to believe me on this one - scout's (and IT Geek's - wait that's worse: Someone who works in IT and has a self-inflated belief about one's technical abilities! ) honor, can Apple force an upgrade over the 3G?
Here's the blow by blow on how it happened:
I am (I still hold hope)/was unlocked when a call came in (remote from home so no WLAN access).
I was happily listing to Pandora with Backgrounder running and had just closed down all my multitasking about 2 minutes before this started (so I know I was unlocked before this mess)
As I answered the phone, I lost Cell Service and the call failed.
Before I noticed the condition, I tried to call back and the call failed.
For some reason (probably boredom) I decided to go to Settings and force the phone to reconnect to the ATT network by popping in and out of airplane mode.
As I turned airplane mode off, the phone completely froze (no button functioned).
I cursed my luck, but rebooted my phone and (of course) it was in DFU, so I eventually powered down and tucked my phone away until I got home.
When I got home, Blackrain-ed...and you know the rest....
- 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM #6
lowridinguy - Thanks for the tips...
All - I ended up restoring to 3.1.2 by using the SHSH files from Cydia. Other than having to restore my jailbroken apps, I'm back up again.
Thanks for the help. Wish I knew what caused the issue, but if I'm the only one that saw it, I guess I'll have to chalk it up to good ol' user error...
- 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM #8