iphone 3gS help!

ferraristef

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
OK so i have a iPhone 3g S 32gb on OS 3.1.3 with baseband 5.12, i know i cannot jailbreak now but when it is possible to do, before i jailbreak it i have some questions. i am a noob so bare with me

with jail-breaking the iPhone, will i be able to unlock it so when i go to the states i can get a pre-paid SIM card and put it in and will everything work?

once i get back can i un-jailbreak/re-lock it?

does jail-breaking ruin anything? such as push email, youtube, wi-fi, internet, sms etc?

if something does go wrong such as the wi-fi no longer works could i un-jailbreak it to make it work again?

i have never jailbroke before so is there anything that i should know about that would break my iPhone?

i just want to jailbreak my iPhone to unlock it so im not going to use winterboard or anything like that.

i saw a youtube video of someone jail-breaking 3.1.3 and unlocking with i think its called snowbreez? anyway the person chose expert mode and then he picked general, right next to general there is a link called "UNLOCKS" can i just unlock it without doing a jailbreak?

sorry for the questions if there dumb

Stef

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'll help you a bit more than en0c decided to ( or decided not to ).

- you cannot unlock without jailbreaking. Your carrier MAY unlock your phone for you. Contact them about unlocking. If they unlock it, it is an unlock that will carrier over regardless of jailbreaks, restores, etc.

- Assuming a jailbreak comes out of 3.1.3 ( which I doubt, I expect one for 3.2 or 4.0 instead ), if you jailbreak and unlock it is as simple as restoring as a new phone to erase all traces of the jailbreak and unlock and make it "like normal".

- If you know what you are doing, a jailbreak cannot "hurt" anything. If you don't know what you're doing you can leave yourself open for hacking.

- 3.1.3 cannot be jailbroken if your phone has never been jailbroken, doesn't matter if it's sn0wbreeze or whatever tool at this point, there is no jailbreak right now.

ferraristef

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot, one last question...if 3.2 comes out and is jailbreakable, I would update my iPhone to 3.2 then jailbreak. What happens if 4.0 comes out after? How would I update my iPhone? Would I just click update when it's jailbroken OR would it be better to restore the iPhone to make is "like new" then update?

Thanks again

Stef

ferraristef

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Nobody has a quick answer?

To Add to my question...the YouTube/ push problems do they still exist? Or is it only when using the blackra1n jailbreak method?

Thanks again

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's not the blackra1n app that causes the YouTube/Wi?Fi/Push problems.

It's hacktivating (activating using a SIM Card other than the official one that came with the phone) by using other apps as opposed to activating it via iTunes and the official SIM Card.

And, IF those things get screwy, PM me. I know how to fix them all. :)

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a lot, one last question...if 3.2 comes out and is jailbreakable, I would update my iPhone to 3.2 then jailbreak. What happens if 4.0 comes out after? How would I update my iPhone? Would I just click update when it's jailbroken OR would it be better to restore the iPhone to make is "like new" then update?

Thanks again

Stef

You can update through iTunes if you are jailbroken, but this causes you to lose your jailbreak. This is often why people that jailbreak do NOT update to the newest version right away. They are awaiting for a jailbreak solution.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, to be clear - EVERY TIME there s a new OS ("operating system") update, you MUST WAIT a week or two before you upgrade. Each and every new update is basically whiping your iPhone clean as the day it was shipped from the factory. Each OS ("operating system") version requires you to REJAILBREAK and REUNLOCK. The reason you'll have to wait to upgrade is because the hackers need time to develop new tools to jailbreak & unlock.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods