iPhone OS 3.2 - To ME, it really doesn't have anything new!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I've been monitoring the SDK releases, and so far, it doesn't really offer anything new! I'd love to be corrected, but... am I wrong?!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
From what I can see, there are TWO different 3.2's - one SDK for the iPad, and one 3.2 for the iPhone/iPod.

At least that's how I understood it because reports over the et have specifically mentioned the iPad SDK being released, then unrelated posts of an iPhone/iPod SDK also being released.

BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the hell Apple is doing, so if anyone is more well informed than I, please, speak up!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That's what I thought. They just showed an updated version of Mail, Calender, and iWorks for the iPad. We can only guess that they will be on the next iPhone.:rolleyes:

why would you even sarcastically guess that?

it's a different sized interface for a different sized device.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, but 3.2 CANT only be for the iPad.

So ultimately, is it 1 OS that's going to be released for everything?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
While it is the iPhone OS, yes, IIRC I remember reading that it's tailored specifically for the needs of the iPad, thus a different flavor of the OS ( think like Windows XP Home vs Windows XP Pro )

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
so then does that mean two different versions of 4.0 for both iPad and iPhone? like Vista Home and Vista Ultimate? Apple you swore you would never do that :p

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, but 3.2 CANT only be for the iPad.

So ultimately, is it 1 OS that's going to be released for everything?

Why can't it be just for the iPad? The iPhone OS is the core functionality, but just like Windows has different versions for different needs, I feel the iPhone OS can be the same. I assume they are going to take some aspects of 3.2 for the iPad and use it for the iPhone and iPod touch. One thing I am assuming is the customizable wallpaper for the home screen will be brought over. I don't think the new e-mail interface will fully make it the other devices since the screen real estate is much smaller.

Don't get too fragmented however....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The reason I don't think it can be the same is because for the iPhone OS, it's a full point upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2, which is supposed to come with significant (while not revolutionary) updates/upgrades. PLUS, being that this is the iPad's first OS, even though it's BASED off of the iPhone OS, using that logic, shouldn't it be labelled as "iPad OS 1.0"? I mean, after all, it hasn't been integrated YET. TiPb had an article that Apple is expected to merge the 2 OS at approximately 4.1 of the iPhone OS. So AT THAT TIME, it would be logical to wrap the iPad OS 1.0 into the iPhone 4.1, and call it the iProduct 1.0 or iDevice 1.0 or whatever?

Because using my logic, once they merge the iPad, iPhone, and iPod OS into one firmware for all the devices, is that not a whole new beast altogether? That would ACTUALLY be the FIRST (1.0) version of that NEW OS, would it not?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what to say about that ^^^ kinda agree with some points but you confused me on a few :p All I can say is, if they bring wallpaper to iPhone THANK GOD what the "F" took you so long Apple.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what to say about that ^^^ kinda agree with some points but you confused me on a few :p All I can say is, if they bring wallpaper to iPhone THANK GOD what the "F" took you so long Apple.

Unfortunately I see that being a defining difference between the iPhone and iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2