jailbreak iphone 3gs 3.1.3 MC version

82brighteyes

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I just bought an iphone 3gs today with the intention of jailbreaking it. I have so far been unlucky because it is firmware 3.1.3 on MC model. Which I be honest means nothing to me being a new to iphones. I have read lots and its getting late and after several scary attempts (i had to reset my iphone 3 times already) I still haven't found a soloution.

Is it possible to do?
If not can i downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak it that way?

Any pointers would be appreciated

bright eyes

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
there's an entire section in the forums where this has been covered dozens of times in as many threads.

you're stuck waiting for an updated jailbreak. you can't do anything you want to do right now

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend that you wait a few weeks for them to release the new jailbreak and unlock tools. the last thing you want to do is to screw your iPhone up. These f'ers are expensive.

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
4. Open iTunes. Click on your device at the left, and you should see the option to restore. Holding shift, click restore. Select the 3.1.2 2G firmware downloaded above, and let iTunes do the rest (you?ll need to select 2G even for 3G ipod/iphones).

Note : this is the only working 5.12.01 baseband jailbreaking guide I know of.

Does that mean it will only be able to use '2G' speeds on a 3G/3GS device?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No, it's just that because Apple doesn't upgrade any baseband in their 2G firmwares, it doesn't need to be authenticated or signed.

Basically, they allow this because they don't care Bout the 2G.

You should also know there may be risks to using a firmware not designed for the correct model of your phone.

I won't lie and invent some, but jailbreaking is a delicate process AS IS, you don't need any help screwing up something that is picky as is.

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
No, it's just that because Apple doesn't upgrade any baseband in their 2G firmwares, it doesn't need to be authenticated or signed.

Basically, they allow this because they don't care Bout the 2G.

You should also know there may be risks to using a firmware not designed for the correct model of your phone.

I won't lie and invent some, but jailbreaking is a delicate process AS IS, you don't need any help screwing up something that is picky as is.

Do you know for a fact whether one would still be able to use 3G or HPSA networks after upgrading with 2G firmware?

There are risks sure. But bricking is extremely rare if reading around forums is any indication, and can almost always be reversed using a restore (granted this mean going back to crap 3.1.3).

I hope the person who tries this posts back with results.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
For a fact? No, only because I haven't tried it for myself. HOWEVER, after a quick google search, I haven't found any posts stating that their 3G service is broken.

I would think if anything, the Wi?Fi would be the thing to go, as Wi?Fi has had a lot of problems for the past 2 OS updates.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Also tried with a 2G, 3G and 3GS 3.1.2 firmwares, no dice.

They've either patched this hole or your phone is special :p

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Can I ask why you guys would even want to try this? 3.2 or 4.0 is coming out soon and there will prob be a JB for that so why screw with your phone now? I don't know to me it just seems like too much trouble and too many unknowns to do it even if it does work.

silkshocker#IM

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask why you guys would even want to try this? 3.2 or 4.0 is coming out soon and there will prob be a JB for that so why screw with your phone now? I don't know to me it just seems like too much trouble and too many unknowns to do it even if it does work.

because I do not want to wait!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Then people like you don't deserve to keep their jailbreak if the only reason you want to update to a USELESS VERSION (3.1.3) is simply because you're impatient.

You're putting your jailbreak and unlock at risk, for what, exactly? So you can say you're on 3.1.3? People all over the Internet were NOT lying when they said that this was a useless update. Apple stated that this update was to make your battery levels read more accurately.

What it was really designed to do was to disable jailbreaks and cause problems for the jailbreak community.

So if that's 'tempting' you to update, then I have one thing to tell you - WHEN you upgrade, because you can't wait, and WHEN you decide you want to jailbreak but can't, WHEN you try to downgrade and get everything how it used to be, and WHEN everything goes wrong, DONT come to these forums asking for help, because virtually everyone here has advised you not to upgrade.

For a reason. Do when you run into complications, good luck, because while I can't speak for anyone else on the forums, I know that I will intentionally refuse to assist.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You know, that actually made me laugh. Partially because last night I went to a 24 hour WalMart and got into an arguement with one of the cashiers....

Fine, you get a pass. *chuckle*

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR