Do I JailBreak?

entreri22

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys, Will say upfront, I'm a noob when it comes to iPhones, jsut got my first one about 2 weeks ago.

Do I jailbreak or not? I want to customize my phone's ringers, alerts, and a few other things, lol.

Is there any downside to j/bing? Can I seemlessy go back to the way I have it now by doing a restore in itunes prejailbreak?
What would be the best way for me to j/b if i choose to go that route?

Read in a previous post that I would have to reinstall the j/b app everytime i reboot the device, is that true? Is there any way around that?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Tethered jailbreak or no jailbreak. That simple. Have you searched to find answers to your other questions, before starting this thread?

entreri22

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Tethered jailbreak or no jailbreak. That simple. Have you searched to find answers to your other questions, before starting this thread?

I have done some searching, but most answers i find are from older phones, and was hoping to get more up to date answers here.

Whats the difference between tethered, and not tethered? Do i have a choice between the two? Like I said, I am a noob, just switched from a bb.

phantomgrave

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have done some searching, but most answers i find are from older phones, and was hoping to get more up to date answers here.

Whats the difference between tethered, and not tethered? Do i have a choice between the two? Like I said, I am a noob, just switched from a bb.

A tethered jailbreak means every time the phone is rebooted you have to plug it into a PC and re-jailbreak it. This only applies to the newer iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G.

I would definitely jailbreak using blackra1n as that seems to be the easiest way to do it. There are tons of threads here that will step you through it.

I jailbroke my iPhone 3G the first day I got it and I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

entreri22

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks LVCIFER

Does this mean that everytime i have to reboot the iphone, i loose all apps and information that i had on it, and have to recreate all that as well?

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Go for it. I couldn't imagine this phone without JB. Tethered is not really an issue. My wife's 3G hasn't been powered down for almost a year. The OS is so stable.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2