I need advice from an EXPERT theme maker!

zcyclist

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
hey everyone,
been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post.
i've been trying my hand at creating iphone themes(mostly for my GF;), and have made a couple of themes that i'm fairly happy with.
the only issue i'm having is with changing the slider text, power off text, etc.
i know how to go into the device, either with iFile or by SSH, and change the text, but that isn't how i want to do it.
i would prefer, as a theme developer, to be able to incorporate these changes within the theme itself, so that when the end user installs the theme, or switches from one theme to another, they don't have to edit the text them selves.
if anyone knows how to do this, and can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it!
i should also mention that i'm working with a 3g 3.1.2
thanks!

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is answering your question, but have you tried using a file named SpringBoard.strings located in Bundles/com.apple.springboard/ in your themes folder?

This file will allow you to change the text for many things, and will only apply to the specific theme being used.

Mike

zcyclist

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is answering your question, but have you tried using a file named SpringBoard.strings located in Bundles/com.apple.springboard/ in your themes folder?

This file will allow you to change the text for many things, and will only apply to the specific theme being used.

Mike

yep, this is what i've been trying to do. i think i must either have the folder names typed wrong, or i'm putting the custom text in the wrong area of the springboard.string doc.
thanks for your help.

zcyclist

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
another thing that might be the cause of my problem...in my research into this issue i've read conflicting statements about weather or not the "springboard.strings" file REALLY needs to be a "plist" file. some folks have indicated that it does not. is this true?
i've been creating my strings file in microsoft notepad and simply saving it as "springboard.strings", but i guess it is still technically a .txt file. i would have already tried the plist thing, but i can't seem to find a .txt to .plist converter anywhere.
can some one comment on this?
and thanks again for the help!

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The plist file isn't related to the strings file as far as I can tell. I use the plist file to change the font sizes for my title bar and icons, but that's about it.

I use WordPad to edit both files. I simply copied the files from another theme I had downloaded and then edited them to fit my needs. Not sure if that's easier than creating one from scratch, but it works.

One other note, I need to correct the path where the strings file is located within the theme. I left out a subdirectory in my post above, which may or may not help you get yours to work. Below is the correct path:

Bundles/com.apple.springboard/en.lproj/

Mike

zcyclist

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
The plist file isn't related to the strings file as far as I can tell. I use the plist file to change the font sizes for my title bar and icons, but that's about it.

I use WordPad to edit both files. I simply copied the files from another theme I had downloaded and then edited them to fit my needs. Not sure if that's easier than creating one from scratch, but it works.

One other note, I need to correct the path where the strings file is located within the theme. I left out a subdirectory in my post above, which may or may not help you get yours to work. Below is the correct path:

Bundles/com.apple.springboard/en.lproj/

Mike

ok, so let me get this straight, the "springboard.strings" file CAN BE a simple notepad doc? this doc doesn't need to be re-formated or anything? just .txt?and it goes inside the "en.lproj" folder?

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
ok, so let me get this straight, the "springboard.strings" file CAN BE a simple notepad doc? this doc doesn't need to be re-formated or anything? just .txt?and it goes inside the "en.lproj" folder?

I haven't tried to create a new file from scratch. Like I mentioned above, I've simply copied over the files from a different theme that I had previously installed, opened and modified them using WordPad and then saved them. I just use the "Save" function, not "Save As". They are not saved as TXT or other formats, but instead as SpringBoard.strings or Info.plist depending on which file I was editing.

As long as I have them located within the correct folder structure they work.

Mike

zcyclist

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
FINALLY got this to work, i did what you suggested and downloaded a theme that had custom text, copied it into my theme, then edited as needed(in this case, i erased the slider text).
there's only one problem. now my lockscreen image is this(see below)! WTF?!
the little pink slider is normal, but what the hell is that text about? what happened to my image!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods