How simple to restore back to 'normal' with a backup

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So, I have one of the latest 3GS's and from what I've read, I'll only be able to do a tethered jailbreak. I'm not sure how I feel about that so want to give it a go and try it out - see if it's worth it. But, the likelyhood is I'll want to revert back to 'normal' after a few days/week/whatever. Say when going on holiday for a few weeks when I can't risk running out of battery and having no phone till getting back home! Would all I need to do be a backup in itunes and restore from there? Or is it not that straight forward?

Essentially, is simple enough to swap between jailbroken and not, as long as you have a backup file to load back up once restored to factory settings? Keeping any notes, contacts, messages, music etc?

I've never done it before so any comments from anyone who regularly swaps between would be welcome. Or if you think it would be too much hassle/risk, I'd be happy to hear that too to not bother risking it!

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
...and when u JB, make sure u create an acct with Rock and log in everytime u DL a JB app because Rock saves all your JB apps

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
That makes me think, say I JB then install a couple of JB apps. How do I create a restorable-in-itunes backup? There will be new notes/messages etc (since JB'ing) so how can you create a backup thats half JB-half 'normal', restore to factory settings (now non JB), then restore the backup (obviously minus the JB apps). Is that possible? Apologies if that didn't make sense!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
iTunes will backup everything that's not part of your jb. You don't need to worry about a separate backup.

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
If you make a restore after you've jailbreaked, then you will have a restore that contains small parts of the jailbreak. But in most cases it's not visual in the OS/regular use..

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic! So, I could technically...

- Jailbreak
- Install JB apps, have a play around etc
- Decide I want to switch back to non-JB for...whatever reasons
- Create backup in itunes
- Restore to factory settings
- Restore from backup
- (then potentially repeat the full list as often as required?)

And at that point I would be back to right where I was a few minutes ago (up to date messages, notes, non JB apps), minus the JB apps? What about (only hypothetically, obviously) any app store apps, but installed through JB (ie TomTom), would they be gone too? If so, how would it know to not back those up?

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
JB and App Store has completely different apps...they are NOT linked!

If your one of those who think a JB can get u app store apps for free..your completely wrong

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Apologies - this is my first iphone and I've only owned for 2 months, just trying to learn as much info as I can. I only mentioned TomTom as I have seen it on other peoples JB phones and they said they didn't pay for. I'm assuming they've downloaded illegally, but just wondered what would happen to apps such as that (that are app store available apps, but not purchased through it) after a backup and restore.

Just trying to get my head round how it all works

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apologies - this is my first iphone and I've only owned for 2 months, just trying to learn as much info as I can. I only mentioned TomTom as I have seen it on other peoples JB phones and they said they didn't pay for. I'm assuming they've downloaded illegally, but just wondered what would happen to apps such as that (that are app store available apps, but not purchased through it) after a backup and restore.

Just trying to get my head round how it all works

this means they stole it.

they likely have to re-steal it

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711