To Jailbreak or not to Jailbreak? That is the question

zwienerdc

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am wondering if I should jailbreak my iPhone 3g. I have seen a cool lock screen concept and would like to add tethering. Can someone give me a detailed rundown of the positives and negatives of jailbreaking, how much the apps cost if jailbroken, and what kind of things I can do that I couldnt before if I jailbreak my phone.

Thank

jnickell

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was a little apprehensive at first, but it was pretty easy. Making a custom lock screen was way more difficult than I expected, so haven't really gotten that far with it yet. It is a pain to have to tether if your device ever has to restart. I have heard and stuck to only downloading what you need don't go crazy or stuff may start to go wrong. I only have winterboard, catagories, proswitcher, and sbsettings right now - all free. Looked at the tether, but it is 10 bucks. I want to see if the potential 4.0 announcement later this month has tether. I will probably upgrade if 4.0 is good and will have to wait till they can rejailbreak, so I don't want to get too attached.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I just jailbroke my phone today and I was a little nervous about it too. You can always use iTunes to reset the device, so I figured, why not? So far, I love it. I have a nice new theme, and I'm running apps in the background with backgrounder and using proswitcher. Works great!!

combatdoc

Dec 13, 2008
www.ffpblog.com
I always border the fence. I did it a while back and just didn't get that much value added. Yes I used backgrounder, winterboard, et al. I just didn't find it worth all the effort. I am considering it again with Blackra1n, but with imminent product cycle releases on the horizon, i will probably just wait.

Krypto74

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I just jailbroke my phone today and I was a little nervous about it too. You can always use iTunes to reset the device, so I figured, why not? So far, I love it. I have a nice new theme, and I'm running apps in the background with backgrounder and using proswitcher. Works great!!

That's cool, and very encouraging. I think the only option that I really care about is changing themes. I don't need tether or the ability to run a bunch of apps at once. I'd love it if the next update featured the ability to change themes, there'd be no reason for me to jb at all :)

Diff

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
>> I was a little apprehensive at first...

Exactly! I'm going to get my 1st iPhone this week & want to jailbreak. There's a lot of info and a variety of programs for jailbreak, all related to which phone/firmware.

So, this was/is a good place to get clarification.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
A lot of good advice already given. I'll also add that since you have a 3G and not a 3GS manufactured week 40 or after, it's a no-brainer, jailbreak it man! You won't have to worry about the whole tethered jailbreaking thing.

Even when a new iPhone is released, I'll still be hanging on to my 3G until there is a reliable un-tethered jailbreak for the new one.

Blastfurnace

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I was like you, really went back and forth on the descision. Then I just did it. I am actually lucky I have a 3gs before week 40 so my break is not tethered.

I would advise you to JB 100% it is great. Just be sure to not upgrade your phone. If you go to 3.1.3 you can never go back and you can not Jailbreak.

Those who were lucky enough to sign keys to Cydia CAN actually go back but it is rather technical.

Anyhow I digress. Make your own descision but if you follow the simple directions it is very easy and very addicting.

the world of options that opens up is amazing

Good Luck

sp8rk

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I just got my Iphone and use Blackra1n on it and was fine, it even started up untethered (on a 3gs 3.1.2) which i was well happy about, but a few days ago i installed Adblock for Safari and the phone crashed and the usb pic showed up!
so i booted up itunes and it wanted to install with latest 3.1.3 on it so i fired up blackra1n and it was cool, but now i turn off the phone i have to blackra1n it again :( what has changed, and can i get it back to untethered?? i'm still on 3.1.2 :confused:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
My personal opinion is JB if thats what you want. Dont do it because others say to or not. If you want to customize your phone or add different features then do it. Its an easy process especially qith Blackra1n. I'm very happy I JB my phone and I dont know if I can go back to a non-JB phone.

dragonc12

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I just got my Iphone and use Blackra1n on it and was fine, it even started up untethered (on a 3gs 3.1.2) which i was well happy about, but a few days ago i installed Adblock for Safari and the phone crashed and the usb pic showed up!
so i booted up itunes and it wanted to install with latest 3.1.3 on it so i fired up blackra1n and it was cool, but now i turn off the phone i have to blackra1n it again :( what has changed, and can i get it back to untethered?? i'm still on 3.1.2 :confused:

there's no way your phone can "start up untethered". it's either tethered or its not. chances are you probably had not INSTALLED a app that required a complete reboot until you installed adblock.

you have a TETHERED jailbreak. so everytime the phone reboots or your battery dies, you have to run blackrain again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro