Do I need to Unlock?

Calavera302

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I've had a 3GS for about 6 months now, and I'm about to make the jump into jailbreaking, which I understand to be a pretty painless process with blackra1n. I have a few quick questions before I do, however:

I primarily want to JB to get apps like backgrounder and SBSettings. I have AT&T, and I am (honestly!) happy with AT&T. In my area (Rochester, NY) their coverage is awesome (Always 5 bars of 3G) and I even have a 20% discount through work.

Do I need to run blacksn0w and unlock? Or is jailbreaking enough? What do I lose by not unlocking? (e.g. Tethering? Or is it just for using with other carriers?). Basically, are there any real disadvantages to not unlocking if I want to stay with my original ATT SIM?

I have heard about problems with the 3GS, particularly with wi-fi and tethered jailbreaking. I'm not worried about the tethered JB, because I bought the phone as soon as it was released, so I should be fine with that (S/N XX924XXXXXX), but I really don't want to have to reset and/or reboot to fix wi-fi issues all the time though. Are these only with unlocking?

Finally, I'm on 3.1.2 (F/W 05.11.07) already through iTunes. Do I need to update or restore or anything before JB? I will probably make a backup through iTunes immediately before, so if the worst happens, I can always use DFU recovery and restore from that, correct?

My contacts/calendar/mail are all synced with google, so even if I have to restore fresh it's not the end of the world, but I'd like to avoid doing it.

Anything else I have to know right off the bat or before JB'ing?? I know I need to find a way to disable SSH or at least change the root p/w (probably both, so I can use SSH when I need to)

Thanks in advance.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You are all set to jb, and shouldn't have to worry about a tethered jailbreak. You don't need to restore first and you're already on the correct fw. The only reasom you would need to unlock is if you want to use the sim card from another carrier.

As to SSH - you would have to install it to use it, so no need to disable. Just don't install to start with. Stick to using something like DiskAid.

Calavera302

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help. It all seems so easy. I'll give it a try when I have some time in the next few days. You know, just in case it doesn't go as smoothly as I am expecting :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73