Tough decision!! Seeking help.

MF4L41

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Im sure I could have searched and found similar post to the one you are reading now. I've had my iPhone for about 5 days now, and if it wasn't for my dad (who has a jail broken one) I would have been the happiest iphoner in all of Michigan. Before the iPhone I was a sprint customer and my phone was the palm pre, my pre was in a sense jailbroken (homebrew, preware) and I'm considering doing the same with my iPhone.

Here is the problem, what is the worst thing that can happen. If my iPhone ever bricked I couldnt just buy another one and the lack of insurance at&t offers scares me. I really enjoy seeing my dad show me his widgets and I want that same experience but I cant afford my phone to go out on me. What do I need to know, are there links that can be provided to help me. Remind you my iPhone was just bought brand new 5 days ago, will my phone be tethered? What does tethered even mean lol, just need someone to really break things down for me as this is really bothering me. Need help, thanks.

-Keenan

DaPeeps

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
From someone who comes from Windows Mobile and flashing custom Roms and such....I know what you're feeling. But trust me...the iPhone is damn near impossible to truly brick. They convieniet DFU and restore modes make a true brick almost impossible.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
As above stted - it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to brick these things, as long as you know how to do a DFU Restore. And in case you don't, here's a handy little guide on how to DFU Restore.

DFU RESTORE

Try the steps listed below, but make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes before attempting to do this.

Put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:

Step One
Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac or PC.

Step Two
Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
After exactly 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up with a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

The iPhone screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!

Step Four
Download from iTunes and install the latest firmware (3.1.2/7D11) and install it. Then, when it's done, simply either restore it from a previously created backup, or set it up as a new iPhone and re-sync all of your stuff back onto it.

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Question: I've lately seen this new term DFU mode. Is this similar to Recovery Mode? Because the methods to get it in DFU mode sound about the same as getting it in Recovery Mode. Sorry not to thread jack.

To the OP: What you can do to have an alternative insurance on an iPhone is if you have house insurance, tell your dad to add your iPhone to it, so if it does get damaged, cracked, or watered, you can report it and they will send a check to cover the losses. They'll probably send a check of what the MSRP is of the iPhone. My friend had a laptop added to her house insurance and her dad accident tripped over the cord and it fell damaging the screen, they called in and said it was an accident by her father who isn't a resident of the house, and they sent a check of the actual cost via mail. Of course you have to send proof of that actual damage. This is one of the ways to actually have external insurance on the phone. I think Best Buy also has it but not sure what are the rules/policies to it and I think it was $15/month.

MF4L41

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Well I did indeed jailbreak out, now im stuck on what to download. So far I just have backgrounder, interesting to see what else is on there..