I was just about to jailbrake...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I was JUST about to jailbrake my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2, and started reading and watching the easy video's on how to do this. But, I stopped as soon as I read\heard about this issue if you reboot your iPhone you have to run blackrain again.

Hmm, not sure if I like that idea. So, what gives, is this true? If so, what's the point?

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Did you read the part where it says that this is for the older 3gs models and not the newer ones running that new software where a tethered jailbreak is required. Search "tethered jailbreak" in the forum and read up more info.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm confused with your reply. According to my understanding, having the latest OS 3.1.2, will cause me to re-jailbrake if I power cycle my iPhone.

Are you saying otherwise?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
CHECK YOUR SERIAL # TO SEE IF YOU'RE TETHERED

Go to Settings>General>About, and take a look at your serial number. It should look something like this:

72638MK26HR (Fake SN)

Now, ignore the rest of it, so that only the 4th & 5th alphanumeric keys are visible. Example:

xxx38xxxxxx (See?)

If those digits are HIGHER than 40, it's safe to assume you will have a tethered jailbreak.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Now we're getting somewhere!

Thanks for taking a moment to explain. My serial is xxx36xxxxxx. I jailbroke this morning, and then rebooted a few times and was beginning to wonder WHY I didn't have to connect my iPhone back to my computer to use blackra1n again!

I understood the tethered part, but was under the impression that the OS 3.1.2 was what would cause the iPhone to be tethered, in addition to the latest hardware...

But, it's all good! Thanks again...

CHECK YOUR SERIAL # TO SEE IF YOU'RE TETHERED

Go to Settings>General>About, and take a look at your serial number. It should look something like this:

72638MK26HR (Fake SN)

Now, ignore the rest of it, so that only the 4th & 5th alphanumeric keys are visible. Example:

xxx38xxxxxx (See?)

If those digits are HIGHER than 40, it's safe to assume you will have a tethered jailbreak.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Way to go Navi!!!:D:D I think you will really like JBing. Just take your time and you will be good. If I can't screw it up it must be easy!!:p:rolleyes:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Can I say "told you so?" And frankly, even if you're stuck with a tethered j/b, it's no biggie. I'm stuck with that since I replaced my iPhone on Monday. But as often as I have to reboot - who cares. Besides, I'm rarely far from a computer for long, so as long as I have a cable & a copy of Blackra1n with me, I'm still no more than that 40 seconds from perfection.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
If only some people would listen the first time round! Gosh...

Now to find a decent 'unlock' screen without all the messing with ssh :)

Can I say "told you so?" And frankly, even if you're stuck with a tethered j/b, it's no biggie. I'm stuck with that since I replaced my iPhone on Monday. But as often as I have to reboot - who cares. Besides, I'm rarely far from a computer for long, so as long as I have a cable & a copy of Blackra1n with me, I'm still no more than that 40 seconds from perfection.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
There are some things you can't do with softwares like Ifunbox. You can't edit configme files unless you ssh. You can't delete a folder in ifunbox you have to ssh. Mow to move wallpapers or icons and stuff ifunbox is the way to go. You can actually see the files in ifunbox whereas in ssh you can't actually see the .png images.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but there are a lot of people who won't ever actually need to edit those files, as that's actually advanced usership. Forthe simple stuff like editting an changing sound files, I wouldn't use SSH because it's frankly not needed. :)

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
You are absolutely correct. I was just putn up the two differences for those who don't know this stuff. I drove myself crazy trying to learn all this stuff myself.

brentb

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

So what exactly happens if the phone battery dies? What functionality do you lose. Just calling or something more? I assume it is easy to reverse once you connect to a computer.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
100% of your functions will be NON-functional. You won't even be able to dial 911. You will need to connect it to your computer, and run blackra1n. That's it. That will bring the functionality back to your phone. :)