JB 3GS 16GB + Blackra1n RC3 = FAIL

sickntired58

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
My boss, just received his phone yesterday [specs in title thread] and he wants to JB. We downloaded BR RC3 to his desktop [win]. Since it's a new phone, the firmware is already at 3.1.2. Click "make it rain" - get the complete message then reboot [while still tethered] and the BR app is on his SB.

If he reboots untethered, his phone goes into recovery mode. Launching iTunes, it doesn't show any info on his phone, just that it needs to be restored, which we're currently doing.

We've made sure iTunes and any other exe associated with iTunes was not running before the JB. This was the 2nd attempt with the same outcome. I've used the search function here on these wonderful forums but everything I've found, we've covered.

Any ideas on what to try next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Do a search for "tethered jailbreak".

If he has a new 3G, then he can still jailbreak, but he just can't eer let his battery die, or reboot his phone when he's not near a computer.

Why?

His phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

Show your boss how to do this. It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that he has a new phone that requires a tethered jailbreak, I suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way his phone never goes off. If he has a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
On the new 3GS with tethered jailbreak you dont need to restore with itunes everytime you reboot. You just need to rerun the blackra1n and make it ra1n while connected to PC. It is a very quick process like 15 seconds or so and you will not loose any of your info or settings on the phone.

sickntired58

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Well... the boss doesn't like the fact that he has to run BR every time his phone boots. I'm going to try the custom IPSW route that I was able to successfully install on my 3G. I'll let y'all know the outcome...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The new 3GS has the new bootrom, it doesn't matter what route you go, the bootrom is run before the OS, and the custom IPSW doesn't change the bootrom. Your boss is out of luck for a non-tethered solution for now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro