Please help me unlock, I'm too old or too stupid to "get it".

jnill

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently using:
iTunes 9.0.2
iPhone 3.0.1

About four months ago I did the Jailbreak using "redsn0w-mac_0.8"

I did not unlock it at the time.

I would like to upgrade to the latest iPhone OS and unlock my phone for use with another carrier.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do?

Thanks!!:eek:

-jn

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, depending on what iPhone you have (2G, 3G, 3G) you could also just use blacksn0w....

What iPhone do you have? I'll walk you through it. :)

jnill

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3GS and as mentioned have I have 3.0.1 iPhone OS on there. It is already jailbroken using redsn0w-mac_0.8

I would love a quick walk-through!

update: it ma be important to know that I also am running Firmware 4.26.08

Last edited:

jnill

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
So if I have this clear, I'm supposed to:

Update to 3.1.2
jailbreak with blackra1n
unlock with blacksn0w

Is that correct?

Can someone make this part clear for me~
How should I update? (using iTunes?)
My phone is already jailbreaked?? (should I do it again with blackra1n??)
Then unlock with blacksn0w. (thats pretty clear)

Man!! I'm pretty technically adept, it just seems like there is a lot of potential wrong steps and I'm trying to be careful.
Thanks again.
-jn

mpafr012#AC

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Your phone may be jailbroken, but when you update it, it will no longer be jail broken.

1. Update the phone using iTunes.
2. Go to Blackra1n.com and down load the latest version of blackra1n and run it. I run Blackra1n with the iphone plugged into the pc and iTunes open.
3. After the phone restarts, you can disconnect it from the pc and then find the Blackra1n program on it. Should be on last screen.
4. Install Cydia and Rock.
5. Open Cydia>Manage>Sources>Edit>Add>blackra1n.com>save.
6.When it completes > return to Cydia>Done>click on blackra1n.com>blacksn0w

This will install blacksn0w and unlock the iPhone. If you are going to use this phone on T-Mobile, disable 3G in Settings>General>Network.

jnill

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
@mpafr012 Do I just use the apple version of iPhone SW or do I need a custom version. I thought I read that using Apple's version is going to screw me somehow.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't screw you anymore. BlackRa1n/sn0w will allow you to jailbreak and unlock your phone in less than 5 minutes.

And actually, once you jailbreak using blackra1n, and go to your iPhones last homescreen, if you open the blackra1n app on your iPhone, it gives you the option to install blacksb0w (to unlock) directly from the app. You don't even need to use Cydia to find it anymore.