Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Update Firmware or not

I have a new Iphone 3GS with 3.0.1 firmware. Now that there is software out to JB the latest firmware is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade to 3.1.x before I JB this device?

I've been holding out on jailbreaking till now, and am wondering which is the best way to go... upgrade or not?

SB...
    Last edited by speedbump; 11-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

though blacksn0w and blackra1n work, there are alot of users that are reporting issues.

I think using dev-teams tools like pwnage is a safer more stable option if you choose to jailbreak.

As such you should follow saurik's advice about backing up your ecid with him, in case you want to go back to 3.0 in case you do have issues w/ 3.1.x, and it might also be more stable to keep the baseband you're @.

So it's going to require you downloading the upgrade from Apple and then running dev-teams software to modify it and keep your current baseband. It's a little more tedious, but a safer option.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by DRTigerlilly View Post
    I think using dev-teams tools like pwnage is a safer more stable option if you choose to jailbreak.

As such you should follow saurik's advice about backing up your ecid with him, in case you want to go back to 3.0 in case you do have issues w/ 3.1.x, and it might also be more stable to keep the baseband you're @.

So it's going to require you downloading the upgrade from Apple and then running dev-teams software to modify it and keep your current baseband. It's a little more tedious, but a safer option.
    Thanks... pwnage appears to be MAC only... as a windows user is there any way around this... I'm a nooby here, and have been trying to educate myself before asking dumb questions, however the learning curve is a little steep here, so please accept my appologies if I've missed this info somewhere.

Currently my main reason to JB is to be able to use VOIP (currently Fring) with a carrier I'm subscribed to... It works well on Wifi, and I would really like to run it on 3G... (Rogers)... Before I mess with JBing is this possible... From what I've read there seems to be a Cydia app which will do this, however I'm uncertain if it will work with Rogers...

SB...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,341 Global Posts

yeah there's a way around it you have to get a custom firmware file created on a Mac with pwnage tool shoot me a PM or if you can't PM email me rwilliams0926@gmail.com
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

geohot is claiming the wifi issues are not related to his software, so you could chance it and go w/ geohot, but it still might be a good idea to go via dev teams method, so worse case scenario you could go back to 3.0.1 if you wanted to.

and remember to store your signature w/ Saurik.