Jailbroken 3GS: any reason to Unlock in US?

Maggard

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hello all! Recently I Jailbroke my iPhone 3GS and now I'm wondering if there is a reason to actually unlock it here in the continental US? As far as I know unlocking a phone only permits me to carry it cross-service, correct? However, speaking with Verizon (who I would choose to go with over AT&T) they say that they are unable to do anything at all to support an iPhone, even one that's unlocked.

I don't claim to know everything about an unlocked phone, but something smells fishy, so I thought I'd ask those in the know before I go any further. What's the story and do I have my facts right on what "unlocking" means on the iPhone, as that's what it did on my Blackberry.

Thanks all.

Oh...also, what's the scoop on Google Voice? I know it hasn't been released in the App Store and isn't on Cydia (well, it got pulled from the App Store) but is there a workaround for us Jailbreakers?

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
In the US, the iPhone could only be used on 2 carriers, AT&T and TMobile. The iPhone is a GSM phone, while Verizon and Sprint are CDMA.

Maggard

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ah, thank you for the reply Big9erfan. I understand now. Seems like I'm stuck with AT&T's crap coverage and rates until Google Voice is released ;)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If you jailbreak your iPhone, go to Cydia and download "GV Mobile". That's the premiere google voice app for the iPhone.

BUT, it's still not free unless you have the AT&T service where you can add your google voice number as one of your "favorite numbers".

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Like the above poster said, sprint and verizon use CDMA phones whereas Tmobile and At&T use GSM phones. Iphone is GSM and cant be used with a CDMA network.
The main reason why people want to unlock and switch from At&T to Tmobile is because of the very expensive data plan AT&T force you to get with the iphone. (Something like $30 per month extra over a regular plan). If you are Ok with this and like the service of At&T then you dont need to unlock.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Hello all! Recently I Jailbroke my iPhone 3GS and now I'm wondering if there is a reason to actually unlock it here in the continental US? As far as I know unlocking a phone only permits me to carry it cross-service, correct? However, speaking with Verizon (who I would choose to go with over AT&T) they say that they are unable to do anything at all to support an iPhone, even one that's unlocked.

I don't claim to know everything about an unlocked phone, but something smells fishy, so I thought I'd ask those in the know before I go any further. What's the story and do I have my facts right on what "unlocking" means on the iPhone, as that's what it did on my Blackberry.

Thanks all.

Oh...also, what's the scoop on Google Voice? I know it hasn't been released in the App Store and isn't on Cydia (well, it got pulled from the App Store) but is there a workaround for us Jailbreakers?

So. You jailbroke your 3GS. Are you using Winterboard at all? I'm curious how the performance is on a 3GS. Performance on my 3G is abysmal, plain and simple. Awful.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I always felt when I had themes going in Winterboard that the phone seem to lag a bit afterward. So on my 3G I only use Winterboard for having my wallpaper on my homescreen and icon tweeks like dim the icons, no album art and no camera sound but haven't used any themes in a long time. I've seen some good ones lately though so might be thinking of getting a couple I like when my phone looks even more unique LOL

Uproarmedia

Nov 3, 2009
www.uproarmedia.com
I'm not trying to rain on any parades, but AT&T is onto the "Put my Google Voice Number(GVN) on my A-list" trick. I added mine and now any calls I receive on my GVN are listed to be incoming from my own AT&T mobile number.

Maggard

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So. You jailbroke your 3GS. Are you using Winterboard at all? I'm curious how the performance is on a 3GS. Performance on my 3G is abysmal, plain and simple. Awful.

Oh, I use Winterboard like a madman and I notice no lag at all. I have a custom lock screen, user background, hidden app names, 50% transparent icons, and transparent dock enabled. I even tooled around with a few themes. The 3GS does it all and doesn't even flinch.

As for Google Voice, thank you all! I found it on Cydia and am now patiently awaiting my invite from Google. I appreciate everyone's assistance!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ah, thank you for the reply Big9erfan. I understand now. Seems like I'm stuck with AT&T's crap coverage and rates until Google Voice is released ;)

Google Voice uses the cellular network and minutes. Your coverage for one is your coverage for the other. GV does not use wifi either.

And technically Verizon does use SIM cards but only when a phone is off of the Verizon network, for International roaming. I have half a dozen Verizon/Vodaphone co-branded SIM cards behind me right now.

Raul Lugo

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Completely off topic but yes I agree with Maggard winterboard is pretty responsive on the 3GS, it is a very different experience than having winterboard on iPhone 3G. On the 3g I also found almost prohibitive to use categories and no so with the 3GS. I find Jailbreaking in general much more enjoyble with the 3gs specially with apps like backgrounder...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2