Ok, have couple final questions before I JB...

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Been tempting to jailbreak since I got my 3GS 2 weeks after launch date. After convincing myself not to do it, I got tempted again by the sweet features and benefits of having a jailbroken iPhone. I just got a few questions before I do it in the next hour. I'm with AT&T so I have no intentions of unlocking the phone, just want to jailbreak.

1. I've seen that the JB 3GS boots up almost as fast as a nonJB 3GS with only 3-6 secs apart, doesn't bother me one bit. Now, does having a JB 3GS kill battery faster than a nonJB?

2. Now, which installers should I be recommended to have when JB'ing? Cydia, Rock, or Icy? Whats the difference between them?

3. I'm going to be using BlackRa1n's JB since I have the 3.1.2 (7D11) firmware. So which websites has the confirm software BlackRa1n download by GeoHot? Don't want to risk bricking my phone.

4. I want to change the theme of my phone, is Winterboard the only software that has these selections? And can I access Winterboard from either Rock, Icy, or Cydia?

5. I know not to update my phones via iTunes until there's an official JB release for that new firmware but will syncing my 3GS to iTunes (for music and such) be any different?

6. Can I still download apps from the Apps Store? I have iMobsters, Vampires Live, etc., so after I JB my 3GS, will all that data be erased? And if I have JB applications downloaded from either Cydia, Icy, or Rock to my 3GS, will I still be able to back-up those JB apps when I sync to iTunes or will only Apps Store apps be backed-up?

Appreciate anyone that can answer any if not all the questions before I come over to the dark side...;)

Last edited:

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Cydia is considered the most stable. Rock is the newcomer and reputed to be faster/lighter than Icy, which was supposed to be that to Cydia.

You can get blackra1n from blackra1n which is geohot's site.

Winterboard is the only themeing program i'm aware of. You should be able to access it in any of the 3.

Syncing with Itunes for apps & music will be exactly the same, and you already know not to do any updates.

Yes you can still download apps from the App Store, no your data will not be erased. There are backup programs in the Cydia store: Aptback & PkgBackup. Only App Store items will be backed up by Itunes.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
1 - depends on the apps you install. Simply being jailbroken will not effect the battery.
2 - Icy is dead. I like Cydia over Rock. ( personal preference )
3 - blackra1n
4 - ???
5 - No, syncing is just fine, but it will not sync your jailbroken applications
6 - Yes, jailbreaking does not effect your ability to install applications from the App Store, it just ADDS the ability to install applications from elsewhere. Syncing to iTunes ONLY syncs standard applications, use something like AptBackup to backup non-app store downloads.

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the answers...I went along a did the jailbreak. Damn have I been missing out first hand. Crazy what this phone is capable when you really mess with it.

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
1 - depends on the apps you install. Simply being jailbroken will not effect the battery.
2 - Icy is dead. I like Cydia over Rock. ( personal preference )
3 - blackra1n
4 - ???
5 - No, syncing is just fine, but it will not sync your jailbroken applications
6 - Yes, jailbreaking does not effect your ability to install applications from the App Store, it just ADDS the ability to install applications from elsewhere. Syncing to iTunes ONLY syncs standard applications, use something like AptBackup to backup non-app store downloads.

Yea, for some reason, Cydia seems to be more easier for me than Rock. (I only picked those 2 after jailbreaking). How do I go about completely removing Rock, will holding it till the "X" pops up in the corner do the trick?