Re-Jailbreak? Debate....

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi There,

I currently have a JB 16GB 3GS running 3.01. I JB it with redsnow(?) a while back and I absolutely love it. I have no issues at all with my phone. Battery life is good (well just as good as pre-JB) and I have experienced no negative effects from the JB. Now that 3.1.2 is available and Blackra1n, I am debating whether it is worth re-jbing or just leave my phone as-is. I don't really see any advantages of me updating to 3.1.2 since I have MMS already through my carrier.

Can anyone give me some solid reasons as to why I should update and re-jailbreak. Or should I leave it alone?

Thanks!

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
I am also running a jailbroken 3GS with 3.0.1 and am looking to upgrade to the jailbroken 3.1.2 OS. I don't have MMS yet, but what I'm really looking forward to is the augmented reality apps that only work for 3.1 and 3.1.2 (i.e. Layar, Yelp, Urbanspooon). I wasn't quite sure of the best way to upgrade since I'm already jailbroken, but I did find this tutorial....

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS with Firmware 3.1 on Windows | Redmond Pie

I didn't realize it was this easy to upgrade if you are already jailbroken. Has anyone tried this? Do you have to re-jailbreak or is Cydia, etc still on the phone after you restore your backup. That's really the only part that confused me.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i like the JB for SBSettings, Backgrounder, qTweeter, Categories, QuickReply (for SMS)...the list is endless. JB opens up a whole new set of features that are otherwise restricted by the default OS.

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I am also running a jailbroken 3GS with 3.0.1 and am looking to upgrade to the jailbroken 3.1.2 OS. I don't have MMS yet, but what I'm really looking forward to is the augmented reality apps that only work for 3.1 and 3.1.2 (i.e. Layar, Yelp, Urbanspooon). I wasn't quite sure of the best way to upgrade since I'm already jailbroken, but I did find this tutorial....

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS with Firmware 3.1 on Windows | Redmond Pie

I didn't realize it was this easy to upgrade if you are already jailbroken. Has anyone tried this? Do you have to re-jailbreak or is Cydia, etc still on the phone after you restore your backup. That's really the only part that confused me.

Yes it is that easy. I did this to a 3GS running 3.0 and ended up with 3.1.2 jailbroken with Cydia installed. As your link points out you can find the custom .ipsw files using Google.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you guys are still under 3.1 although you may not need unlocking now I would say it's easier and better to upgrade via a custom 3.1.2 ipsw file made with pwnage tool. Shoot a PM to LVCIFER if you got a 3G he may know where you can get one.

Chaos_Fonez

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
i like the JB for SBSettings, Backgrounder, qTweeter, Categories, QuickReply (for SMS)...the list is endless. JB opens up a whole new set of features that are otherwise restricted by the default OS.

YUP jglowe! All this is absolutely wat i use ahah and i luv it.
You get all the advantages of JB wen you are up to date.
Up to you guys tho. I recommend it. You will get the default MMS which is much better i spose.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up Ipheuria! I tried PM'ing LVCIFER but I do not have enough posts to send him a PM. Do you any other way I can get a reliable and trusted IPSW? I know how to get torrents but I would rather get it from someone who is trusted and that has a good rep like most members here.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
The source that I referenced in my previous message worked fine. I'd urge anyone going this route to go to Cydia and purchase PKG Backup first. It will make restoring your JB apps a lot easier.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Bergman! I will have to do this tonight. I only have BossPaper and SBSettings installed so I don't think I should need the PKG backup but thanks for the heads up. Does APTbackup do the same thing?

When you update the firmware, it re-installs Cydia? Was it as easy as it sounds from the tutorial.

Is there any issues that you have noticed so far?

Thanks again!

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
No issues -everything works as easily as described in the tutorial. Depending on how much yuo have installed, you should set aside some time to babysit the process and the back-up and first sync.
Not familiar with Aptbackup.

sickntired58

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I've located a source at Download Custom Firmware 3.1.2 ipsw ? Jailbreak, Activate, Unlock iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS [Mac and Windows] | iLikeMyiPhone
I'm downloading it now and will report back on my success.

Thanks for the link Bergman. I'll have to give this a shot someday when I have time...

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes it is that easy. I did this to a 3GS running 3.0 and ended up with 3.1.2 jailbroken with Cydia installed. As your link points out you can find the custom .ipsw files using Google.

Was your 3GS running 3.0 already jailbroken when you upgraded to the jailbroken 3.1.2?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox