Making a deal with Apple

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I've been a very happy iPhone user for the past 4 months. Having come from a Windows Mobile device (actually a series of them over several years), I have been utterly impressed with the power of the iPhone, and exceedingly frustrated at the jailbreak cat-and-mouse game.

Someone help me here. I can see 3 reasons to jailbreak, and only 2 of them as issues that Apple should legitimtely have a problem with...

1) To install pirated software (AKA stealing)
2) To circumvent carrier terms of service (e.g., 3G Unrestrictor)
3) To customize the user experience (e.g., Backgrounder, Notifier, Lock Screen Calendar, etc.)

Unlocking is a wholly separate issue that I won't get into...

As for my 3 points above - if Apple allowed apps fitting #3 above into the App Store, how many of you would still jailbreak? What is it about a program that puts status icons on the top of the screen, or changes the notification tones, or lets a user run Pandora and Safari simultaneously that Apple really objects to?

I would love to see the developers of apps in the third category collectively lobby Apple to change its App Store criteria in exchnage for cooperation and tougher enforcement of the issues that Apple should care about (i.e., not enabling people to steal software or services).

dreric01

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
you got it all wrong jailbraking is not stealing..... the main purpose for jailbreking is to run applications from individual developers who are non comissioned by apple ( meaning its free) to run on your phone....

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
yeppp...i agree with dreric01...Apple should be happy because without JBing, they wouldnt make as much money as they would make Non-JB. It just opens up a whole new world...not a boring one

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Some people jailbreak to install pirated software. It's obvious based on the reports on how many cracked apps have been used ( see tipb blog ).

I'd like to think that the bulk of people jailbreak to customize their iPhone in ways that Apple doesn't currently allow, for example:
- Typical Today type screen on the lock screen
- icons on the top status bar ( like when you have an email, missed call, text, IM )
- quick access to on/off switches ( turn off 3G/wifi/bluetooth etc )
- theme the iPhone to look unique

If Apple implemented Themes that developers could make and distribute ( sell or give away ) I'd see a whole new revenue stream for Apple.

I'm sure Apple is looking into the Today Screen type thing, but it should have been around in the initial iPhone, and same with a proper notification system, it should have been there instead of the clunky "ok/cancel" messages that pop up from push or the sometimes very difficult to find badge on some random app among your 11 pages.

Punish the pirates, not those looking to customize their iPhone for a better or different experience. Wasn't it Apple that told us to "Think Different"?

amg

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
You missed my point. There are multiple reasons to JB - stealing is undisputably one reason. Customizations that merely improve the user experience is another. It seems that Apple paints all JB'ers with one brush. I would hope that Apple opens access to including the customization apps to the App Store before taking any more shots at the Jailbreak community. Leave it so the only remaining reason to JB is if you have an intent to steal... And only then should they aggressively try to shut it down.

Btw, contrary to your comment, JB apps are not necessarily free

you got it all wrong jailbraking is not stealing..... the main purpose for jailbreking is to run applications from individual developers who are non comissioned by apple ( meaning its free) to run on your phone....

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
As for my 3 points above - if Apple allowed apps fitting #3 above into the App Store, how many of you would still jailbreak?

very good point. but i would like to ask why you care so much?
enough to where you feel the need to make a thread of something so insignificant that everyone here will forget it about it as soon as they log out.

thebeerbaron83

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I think all amg is trying to get at is, if apple alowed certain features (e.g customiztions ect...) how many of you would still JB. I have seen much more pointless threads on this forum.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
I think all amg is trying to get at is, if apple alowed certain features (e.g customiztions ect...) how many of you would still JB. I have seen much more pointless threads on this forum.

I would still JB to get apps like SBSettings and 3GUnrestrictor for SlingBox. ATT can't justify and TOS crap since I was using Slingplayer mobile on WM devices before it was offered on the iPhone. Since I invested the money in a Sling, I want to be able to watch it were and when I want to.

Plus, Backgrounder is a great app. I love being able to put streaming radio apps like Pandora, AOL Radio, and MLB At Bat 2009 in the background while doing other things on my iPhone.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Even though some people are honest, some are not. And people do steal apps and crack them.

Devs lose money as well as apple. I jailbreak, as you, to get themes and customize my phone to my liking. But I'm sure for every 1 person like you and I, there are about 5 that actually do pirate apps. I can honestly say I have never downloaded a pirated app to my phone.

I think devs deserve the money for their hard work. I am more than happy to throw a few bucks at them to receive awesome apps.

weberm13

Aug 19, 2009
t3kd.com
I've been a very happy iPhone user for the past 4 months. Having come from a Windows Mobile device (actually a series of them over several years), I have been utterly impressed with the power of the iPhone, and exceedingly frustrated at the jailbreak cat-and-mouse game.

Someone help me here. I can see 3 reasons to jailbreak, and only 2 of them as issues that Apple should legitimtely have a problem with...

1) To install pirated software (AKA stealing)
2) To circumvent carrier terms of service (e.g., 3G Unrestrictor)
3) To customize the user experience (e.g., Backgrounder, Notifier, Lock Screen Calendar, etc.)

Unlocking is a wholly separate issue that I won't get into...

As for my 3 points above - if Apple allowed apps fitting #3 above into the App Store, how many of you would still jailbreak? What is it about a program that puts status icons on the top of the screen, or changes the notification tones, or lets a user run Pandora and Safari simultaneously that Apple really objects to?

I would love to see the developers of apps in the third category collectively lobby Apple to change its App Store criteria in exchnage for cooperation and tougher enforcement of the issues that Apple should care about (i.e., not enabling people to steal software or services).

If apple allowed the things in your third point I wouldnt JB at all, because I like the overall official iPhone, however I like to personalize the way things are and also to have apps running in the background.

AZBear#CB

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I would still jailbreak. There are always going to be apps that Apple does not approve of and I would like to be able to use them if I choose to.

As to using priated apps, that is stealing and I do not condone theft.

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
To answer your question, in this dreamworld where Apple accepts all the theming and SBS and all that into the App store, I would see absolutely no reason to jailbreak. I think software piracy is horrible. I don't mod my consoles nor download cracked apps.

The reason Apple won't allow these programs is the same reason it's been so successful though. That reason is Steve Jobs. He's a great CEO, but really anal. He wants to decide exactly how the iPhone looks and wants that look to be ubiquitous across all iPhones.

DaPeeps

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I do it because I'll be damned if I am gonna let Apple tell me what I can and cannot do with something that I am paying a good amount of money for.

I also came from a series of WinMo devices, and the reason I liked them was the open platform.....developers could create whatever they wanted for it, and you could use any UI or customization I wanted. I used to craptalk the iphone constantly. However, once I realized I can jailbreak and retain much of the things that made me stick with Windows Mobile, I jumped shipped and happily own an iphone now.

but I remain pissed at Apple for continuing to try and force me to use my iphone in the EXACT manner they want me to. Screw them.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I do it because I'll be damned if I am gonna let Apple tell me what I can and cannot do with something that I am paying a good amount of money for.

I also came from a series of WinMo devices, and the reason I liked them was the open platform.....developers could create whatever they wanted for it, and you could use any UI or customization I wanted. I used to craptalk the iphone constantly. However, once I realized I can jailbreak and retain much of the things that made me stick with Windows Mobile, I jumped shipped and happily own an iphone now.

but I remain pissed at Apple for continuing to try and force me to use my iphone in the EXACT manner they want me to. Screw them.

^^this man speaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!:cool: