Need Advice, Have 2.0.2 jailbroken But Want Update To 3.1.2 Help Please

fst2008

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Ok...its been awhile since I have been here so if I say a certain term or etc that is old or out-dated please understand.

The phone I have is already jailbroken and the specs are:

3G Iphone
2.0.2 Version (5C1)
Using a TurboSim on Tmobile

I have wanted to update the phone but for a year now my son has been in and out of the hospital. He is starting to do better and thought I would take the time to try and catch up to the rest of my fellow iphone users.

My problem...there is so much info out there and I dont know which tuts to follow. Is there anything I need to know before I do this? Will I lose anything...meaning, will I lose contacts, photos, apps and etc. If yes, is there a way to back this all up.

I know alot of people hate when people just come in here asking for help without doing their own homework....but I have searched all over and I cannot find the answers to my concerns. Please if you can take the time to help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
We need a little more info, are you using a Mac or Windows? I'm not familiar with the whole TurboSIM thing. If you upgrade to a higher firmware than 3.0 without using a custom ipsw you will upgrade your baseband currently preventing unlock. If you're using Windows then I would suggest upgrading and Jailbreaking 3.0 using the tools out there quickpwn, redsnow, etc. Then from there if you want to go higher you could get a custom ipsw and restore from that to 3.1.2

When I've done updates I lose everything the phone is wiped clean, so I can only tell you from my experience. You can backup everything on your phone by connecting the phone via USB and opening iTunes. You'll see the phone in the left column and if you right click you can backup. Then after that you can also select the things you want to sync through iTunes ie. Contacts, Music, Videos, etc. Then once you've synced and backed up the iPhone you can do the Jailbreak. Once you're done when you connect the phone it will ask you if you want to restore from the latest backup. This will return all your apps, etc.

tsuehpsyde

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about the TurboSIM thing, but my best guess would be to:

Upgrade to 3.0 IPSW (stock) to get the latest exploitable BB and jailbreak.
Download PwnageTool 3.1.4, build a custom 3.1.2 IPSW to avoid Baseband update.
Install ultrasn0w via Cydia

Viola, upgraded, jailbroken and unlocked. :)

fst2008

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
First I want to thank you all for taking the time to try and help. I noticed after I posted that I didnt mention what I was using to do all this...Im using a PC.

As for the turbosim thing...before unlocking was done...what they did is use a very thin sim that you would out under the tmobile sim and this would allow you to use their service. If there is any other info that you need from my phone that would help you, let me know. Oh and the modem firmware is 02.08.01

ok...now when you say to upgrade how do I do this...do I do it thru itunes? Also I remember when I first JB my phone in 2008 that I had to SSh to change some settings so you could use hacked apps and etc...will I still have to do this?

again, I cant begin to thank you guys enough for helping me. I truly tried to find this info my self but I could not find anything.

Thanks,
Jon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2