Cydia-rock-icy??????

tsuehpsyde

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Cydia is the de facto standard. If you're unfamiliar with them, I'd go with that one.

The other two use the same subsystem for managing packages (apt, comes from Debian) and supposedly work together, but I've had the most luck with Cydia personally. Also, Cydia managers your ECID SHSH blobs, which are required for downgrades in the future.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes. Rock is defiantly the best of the three. Cydia is slow as hell. Icy is just kinda there but Rock is amazing. So snappy, you can background download and install. Clean interface. The new standard if I do say so myself.

DrJB

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
I heard rock will backup your apps in case you have to restore your phone or you lose them someway is this true?

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I will post this question in this thread rather than start a new thread. I have Cydia installed via the blackra1n jailbreak. I would like to check out Rock and see what that one is all about. Okay there is a question here, lol. Are the two compatable with each other? Since I have been using Cydia all apps, themes and so on are from Cydia. Will they still work with Rock also installed and what if I install some stuff from Rock will they counter each other will they both work. I sure hope I make sense here.

Chaos_Fonez

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I will post this question in this thread rather than start a new thread. I have Cydia installed via the blackra1n jailbreak. I would like to check out Rock and see what that one is all about. Okay there is a question here, lol. Are the two compatable with each other? Since I have been using Cydia all apps, themes and so on are from Cydia. Will they still work with Rock also installed and what if I install some stuff from Rock will they counter each other will they both work. I sure hope I make sense here.

Xcatly... I am wondering the same about this. Are Cydia apps also in the Icy or Rock app? Such as themes or games. Since we are all used to Cydia will Rock or Icy have the same third party apps in it? Also is it safe or should i say jailbreak compatible to have two or even all three apps installed?

taloton

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I know that there are apps that can be found in rock, icy and cydia and I also read that they have also have the same apps. Since Cydia's been around the longest, I assume that all apps on rock and icy can be found on cydia making ideal to use but rock is lightning fast :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I love Cydia, hated the couple of times I've used Icy. You can install them together so I don't think the apps will cause probs with each other. I don't like the others, just my personal pref.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I would say you would have to re-JB I DON't know if you get the option in Windows JB apps but you get the option between Cydia and Icy in pwnage tools.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again. That's kind of what I thought I would have to do, re-jailbreak. Don't really want to do that though.

Bashy

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I done a new JB two days ago on my 16gb 3GS. I installed cydia then Icy.
Icy completely messed up my cydia...bringing up massive errors when I opened cydia. Had to re JB yesterday.
Wouldn't touch icy again but now am tempted to install rock...mmm!!

AppleTouchHome

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Nope tried that. All that does is remove the blackra1n app from ur phone. It even tells u that when u do it.

youre right ... i looked at it wrong. but appearently if you install rock and then go to manage you can find cydia installer and uninstall it. but when i tried it said it might make my phone inoperable. i clicked okay, but i wouldnt uninstall ...