5 questions about JB with Blackra1n.

jlw

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I have the iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 with the newest Baseband.

1. Will I be able to Jailbreak my device with Blackra1n, or do I need to have the older Baseband?

2. Is it easy to restore to Original firmware, without Jailbreal?

3. When the unlock arrived (if it do) can I then unlock the phone with Blackra1n installed or do I need a new Jailbreak?

4. Can iTunes detect I am using a Jailbreak and throw me out from my iTunes account? I have purchased many apps and dont want to loose them. :)

5. When I use Blackra1n, my phone reset itself and all apps, contacts and more go away?

tsuehpsyde

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. It will jailbreak just fine how it is.
2. It's painlessly easy to restore. You simply restore it and jailbreak goes away. :)
3. blackra1n is a jailbreak, not an unlock so it's not connected to an unlock (which, for the current baseband, does not exist).
4. I sync over iTunes with a JB 3GS 3.0 just fine. But the app organization in iTunes may not work, but backups/syncs work just fine. Just don't upgrade through it if a new version comes out.
5. No, your phone will stay just how it is, it'll simply add the ability to install 3rd party applications (assuming all goes well).

Cheers.

aesmith207

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Quick Question, and I'm new to the iPhone and Jailbreaking so please bare with me.

I just picked up a Brand new 3GS yesterday. I believe it has firmware 3.1 pre-installed (At least that is what I see when I go into Settings->General->Version). I was reading on the web and it stated that you could not jailbreak your phone if it came pre-installed with version 3.1. So my questions are this

1. Can I Jailbreak my phone as is with Blackra1n?

2. Should I upgrade to 3.1.2 prior to jailbreaking

3. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for helping a new guy out.

tsuehpsyde

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Yes (I believe, I'd still upgrade)
2. Yes
3. Nope

:) Prior to BlackRa1n, which was released this morning, there was no way to jailbreak any iDevices with 3.1+ for the OS. But now, you can. Also, jailbreak != unlock.

Jailbreak -> Run any applications you want
Unlock -> Use any carrier you want

Cheers.

aesmith207

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for info, I'm just a bit nervous about breaking my brand new toy.

Coming from a blackberry I'm just blown away by the iphone. The only thing that stinks is that I have to jailbreak my phone so I can install a simple app to display my calender events on my unlock screen.

Anyways, thanks again for the help.