Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Thumbs up Can I move from 2.2 to 3.1?

Hello everyone. I have a 1st Gen iPhone (2G) with current version 2.2 (5G77), jailbroken and unlocked, on T-Mobile. I want to upgrade to 3.1 using the guide on taranfx.com (taranfx.com/blog/how-to-jailbreak-unlock-iphone-os-3-1-on-2g-3g-on-windows-mac). Do I need to do anything before I move directly to 3.1? I have not moved to 3.0 through iTunes, whether using the default software provided by Apple or by using custom software. Your help would be awesome! I don't want to end up with a phone that I can't use.

One more quick question - if I tried to upgrade to 3.1 and failed, when I restore to a backup stored in iTunes, does it use the prior version of unlocked and jailbroken software that was previously on the phone (in other words, putting it back the same way it just was), or does it restore to factory software? I always wondered that. THANKS!
    Last edited by bw21638; 10-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    iMore Elite

2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,455 Global Posts

As I recall reading there shouldn't be any difficulty with the upgrade to 3.1 on the first gen phone and keeping your unlock. If you're using a mac, just make sure to follow the directions posted by the Dev-Team.