Urgent : To all jailbreakers

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I successfully jailbroke my iPhone yesterday using someone else's imac. At that time, I lost service just like I (pretty much) did a little over a week ago when the phone was already jailbroken with OS 3.0.1 (it happened automatically the 1st time). Back then, I had to update to OS 3.1 to restore service, and I lost the jailbreak. Yesterday, I had to restore to factory settings to get Edge, 3G, other networks, & GPS back, and then restore again from back-up. So now it's not jailbroken.

You probably know that apple very recently began advising consumers about an "sms virus" attacking iPhones which lose service as a result. This is a lie.

OS 3.0.1 contained spyware which apple used to find jailbroken iPhones. They perfected their craft with 3.1 which immediately and completely killed the signal while 3.0.1 (roughly 1 week after installation) made the signal extremely weak. From now until the end of my contract in August 2010, my iPhone 3G would be an iPod Touch if jailbroken, and would only be an iPhone without jailbreak so it's no longer worth it.

I'll be looking into Verizon very soon. iPhone is far too limited with no jailbreak. AT&T has the muscle to stand up to Steve Jobs and get more for their customers but they won't. I have lost the patience required to try and get this thing working with t-mobile.

Do you know anyone willing to settle for a 16 GB iPhone 3G as-is? I'm selling it for $150 and throwing in a car-charger, usb cable, sim card, and sim card tool. I don't want to deal with this anymore. I was looking to buy an imac at some point in the future and now that won't happen, either. Linux is the word.

Do a search on 'sms virus'. Their story falls apart when you read about their claims regarding the "virus" and what it can do.

I have no doubt that apple will find a way to make a jailbroken iPhone or iPod Touch completely inoperable with a future "software update". At that point, they'll either tell the customer that nothing can be done or they will require a fee to restore GSM service and/or functionality. This will most likely happen prior to August 2010, and that's why I'm selling. As long as the buyer has interest in free applications from itunes store or they're willing to pay for their applications, it's all good.

Peace & good luck w/your apple devices. I'm through with them all.
db7472

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like someone is upset due to JB issues.

While it's possible for an SMS virus to exist, I haven't seen actual confirmation about any infection. In fact, I can't find any articles about this newer than July 31. If you ask me, all the talk about an SMS virus was just hot air to scare people into pressuring Apple to fix their SMS vulnerability... which was done in 3.01.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
the sms hack was a known issue a third party proved affects multiple companies devices, not just Apple's. it was fixed in 3.0.1

jailbreaking can cause issues with your phone as you're modifying the core software.

jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking, which doesn't work on 3.1 yet. unlocking is what you need to switch providers. doing this can and does completely break phones. it's a known risk.

it's just my opinion, but this post seems to be born of ignorance

alfi

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi db7472,
I'm looking an iphone or ipod touch for my kid. So I guess I'm interested to your iphone. How is its condition (physically)? Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Kal

MeMe

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
O.k. I have been reading up on all of this and it seems the more I read the more confused I get maybe I 'm just not real familiar with the lingo and what actually applies to what so....I have a 3g and unknowingly did the itunes 3.1 update, AT&T is my carrier and all I really need to be able to do at this time is use my phone for tethering internet to my laptop my firmware is 3.1 my baseband is 05.11.07 BUT my serial number YWW is Y= 8 WW= 29 so it is possible to use fuzzy downgrader to downgrade my baseband...right? Jailbreaking and all that would be cool in the future but right now my main issue is tethering so if I understand correctly it is posssible I just need to know what steps to take to do it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
To OP I'm not sure what your post is all about, I'm trying to read into it and think maybe the JB/Unlock wasn't done properly and now the phone is bricked so you need to sell? I have a 3G and I've been unlocked since I've had it on 3.0 and later today 3.1 as have a couple people in the forums. So if this was a problem you wouldn't be the only one complaining. The SMS virus/hack was world knowledge and was fixed.

MeMe I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to tether? I'm in Canada but it should be the same and I've got friends tethering on both 3.0 and 3.1 Do you have the option in settings? have you tried and it doesnt' work? what data plan do you have? You're not JB or unlocked so I don't see why it wouldn't work?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
O.k. I have been reading up on all of this and it seems the more I read the more confused I get maybe I 'm just not real familiar with the lingo and what actually applies to what so....I have a 3g and unknowingly did the itunes 3.1 update, AT&T is my carrier and all I really need to be able to do at this time is use my phone for tethering internet to my laptop my firmware is 3.1 my baseband is 05.11.07 BUT my serial number YWW is Y= 8 WW= 29 so it is possible to use fuzzy downgrader to downgrade my baseband...right? Jailbreaking and all that would be cool in the future but right now my main issue is tethering so if I understand correctly it is posssible I just need to know what steps to take to do it.

you need to read more into the entire process. you have to jailbreak before you can unlock.

I would start over and read these guides
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help-and-how-to-guides/

also, please make seperate paragraphs with each question. it's hard to read massive blocks of text

Last edited:

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
unlock

flyingember,
Just because I didn't write the word 'unlock' in my post doesn't mean I don't know what that term means in regards to iPhones. I've known about attempts to make that device work with other carriers for 11 months now. I made a reference to the process when I mentioned t-mobile, and I really don't think my reference was that obscure, either.

Your post was born of cursory reading, assumption, and misplaced contempt. It was unprovoked and unnecessary. That's my opinion.

db7472

the sms hack was a known issue a third party proved affects multiple companies devices, not just Apple's. it was fixed in 3.0.1

jailbreaking can cause issues with your phone as you're modifying the core software.

jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking, which doesn't work on 3.1 yet. unlocking is what you need to switch providers. doing this can and does completely break phones. it's a known risk.

it's just my opinion, but this post seems to be born of ignorance

Last edited:

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow db. It's a shame you're having such trouble with your iPhone. My current iPhone isn't jailbroken butcmy previous one was, so I do know the benefits of it. Mine was unlocked and I made the mistake of upgrading the software and locked it back to AT&T. I sold it and went to a blackberry and then decided to switch to AT&T and get a new iPhone. While the jailbreak adds so much to the iPhone it has never been a necessity for me. I hope you find a device that suits all of your needs. Let us know what you decide to switch to.

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
physically, there's no problem

Hi db7472,
I'm looking an iphone or ipod touch for my kid. So I guess I'm interested to your iphone. How is its condition (physically)? Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Kal

I've used screen protectors and cases for the past year and a half that I've owned it. It's a black 16 GB. See if you can send me a PM to discuss further.

Thank you, Kal, for your response and for being civil.

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
rules

I propose that decisions regarding mental states such paranoia as be left to medical professionals and that ALL users of this site, including insolent intermediates, refrain from personal attacks as dictated by the moderators.

db7472

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow db. It's a shame you're having such trouble with your iPhone. My current iPhone isn't jailbroken butcmy previous one was, so I do know the benefits of it. Mine was unlocked and I made the mistake of upgrading the software and locked it back to AT&T. I sold it and went to a blackberry and then decided to switch to AT&T and get a new iPhone. While the jailbreak adds so much to the iPhone it has never been a necessity for me. I hope you find a device that suits all of your needs. Let us know what you decide to switch to.

Thank you very much li2327. You don't seem like a beginner. :)

Hopefully, you weren't treated as maliciously as I have been, & for no good reason, earlier on in your posting.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I propose that decisions regarding mental states such paranoia as be left to medical professionals and that ALL users of this site, including insolent intermediates, refrain from personal attacks as dictated by the moderators.

Well, my degree in psychology should give me some ability to discern paranoia :rolleyes:

I did not attack anyone, I just stated the truth. I am tired of seeing JB newbs spread false rumors that make JB look bad. This is at least the 3rd thread I've seen proclaiming Apple "knows" and is secretly making your reception, or battery life, or sex life bad to punish you.

Last edited:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, my degree in psychology should give me some ability to discern paranoia :rolleyes:

I did not attack anyone, I just stated the truth. I am tired of seeing JB newbs spread false rumors that make JB look bad. This is at least the 3rd thread I've seen proclaiming Apple "knows" and is secretly making your reception, or battery life, or sex life bad to punish you.

in fact, it should be obvious when you do stuff to your phone that Apple goes out of its way to block that there is a definite possibility you will cause yourself issues.

I jailbreaked a spare work phone with 3.0.1. in a week the battery has lost 25% with no usage. that's not bad.

all I want from jb is google voice. that's not enough for me to move my phone over given the hassle each time.

spankyoatmeal

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased a never JB or unlocked 3G. First new cell phone in many years.

I upgraded to 3.1 and that went well. Yesterday decided to try to jailbreak after downgrading to 3.0. Downgrade to 3.0 went fine and then I jailbroke the phone, and that went well.

Then did DFU again to install ipsw 3.1 for Unlocked but unactivated. After that, I had 3.1 JB, and all the JB things worked well, but was unable to get any phone service.

I just downgraded again, and then upgraded to OEM 3.1 and I have phone service again, but no JB. I am not worried about unlocking at this time.

The custom 3.1 jailbroken OS did not work for me to allow my phone to work. (ATT)

Wish I knew a way for get that part to work and I'd be back at JB 3.1

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you very much li2327. You don't seem like a beginner. :)

Hopefully, you weren't treated as maliciously as I have been, & for no good reason, earlier on in your posting.

Really what did you expect? you make a thread without actual facts but instead opinions and rumors or whatever and expect everyone to roll out the red carpet to you? If you want to sell your phone that's cool so make a thread offering it for sale in the proper forum. However like I've said I've had two phones 2G and 3G, unlocked and both are JB and I continue to have perfect working service since day one. So if what you are saying is true it would be for all users not just you. Instead you chose to ignore that fact and try to act as if you are civil and everyone is treating you un-justly. Do you think that because you speak with big words that will gloss over the fact that what you've said in your post is incorrect?

alfi

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've used screen protectors and cases for the past year and a half that I've owned it. It's a black 16 GB. See if you can send me a PM to discuss further.

Thank you, Kal, for your response and for being civil.

Hi db7472,
you can email me to this address: M8R-2p7gmy_AT_mailinator_DOT_com

Thanks,
Kal

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
To the OP, if I'm understanding correctly, you're having an issue with 3.1 jailbreak?

I have had my 8gb on 3.1 jb for about a week, with no ill-effects. I also had my 3G jailbroke on 3.0 and 3.0.1, I'm thinking the person you had jailbreak the phone wasn't too sure about the process, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss what might have happened to cause you to lose phone functionality.

I'm pretty sure Apple hasn't done anything to try and detect whether or not the iPhone is jailbroken.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro