Anyone have the time to explain( learn me) on google voice?

Mattsworld

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've had a g voice number for some time now and haven't been using it at all. Well I finally jailbroke my 3gs today and downloaded gvoice for iPhone. I would love to be able to drop my txting feature and use gvoice for all SMS messaging. Is this possible? Seems I was able to send txt easy with the application, but cannot recieve any.

Anyone have the time to explain how I set it up to use this way or if it's even possible? Also will gvoice need to be backgrounded in order to do this?

Thanks in advance!

mwg3c

Dec 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious as well. I never really understood the appeal of google voice. Anyone care to explain what it does and how it's so useful?

ayoitzrimz

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Google voice is awesome I use it all the time. To get and receive txt's for free do the following: In google voice go to Settings -> Voicemail & SMS -> check the box that says "Forward SMS messages to my email". Now you'll receive sms as email but you also need to turn off the forward SMS to this phone feature under Settings -> phones -> select your mobile number and click edit -> uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone".

You can now send sms from the gvoice app, and when a sms is received you will get it as an email (tip: setup yahoo mail just for that purpose since it has push but its only useful if you are a heavy txter).

Also, when you get a SMS email you can simply reply to it as an email and it will be sent to the receipient as a SMS.

Hope this helps with this issue, let me know what else you are interested in (filters etc) and I'll try to help

Last edited:

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
google voice gives you a device agnostic number with nice benefits. for free (so far) except for international calls (HI/AK is international)

until an official app is approved (or you use the JB app) you use the google voice website from the phone or at home to place a call. it calls you, you pick up the google voice call and google voice then connects you with the other person.

they see only the google voice number since they're doing the calling. you can make the call with multiple numbers regardless of where you're at. like a home and cell number.

you can set the google voice number to only ring certain phones certain times of the day or to not ring at all. many people work 9-5 and run a small business on the side. you can ring your cell you carry at work only when off work.

unknown numbers can be asked to state a name.

friends and family can go into different lists and get different voice mail messages and forward to different phones. imagine sending your mother to your cell and home and everyone else only goes to your cell.

give a group of friends a custom unavailable message and everyone else hears a generic message

even better, international calling is < 1/10th the cost of a traditional account

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR