Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Exclamation Edit or make your own themes Tutorial (2.x/3.x)

    I've been getting quite a few PMs or DMs on twitter about how to edit themes, tweak them, or do things outside of Cydia as far as installing themes. I had a sticky guide over at HoFo so I'm copying and pasting it here, and I'm going to ask a mod to maybe sticky it here as well.

    This is the guide I wrote, and the site linked is a guy over on HoFo's site. He's got some REALLY good tutorials on SSH'ing and what-not.

    So, here it is,

    In order to do this, you have to know how to SSH into your phone. Learning how to do this allows you to do pretty much whatever you want from changing SMS bubbles to badges, to backgrounds, to making your own icons.

    For this, you need to download a few things from Cydia on your phone and then a few things to your computer. This guy has excellent tutorials:

    (these are 3.x tutorials by the way, but most are backwards compatible with 2.x firmwares as the processes are the same)

    How to SSH your phone:

    This guy uses Fugu as an SSH client on his Mac, if you are a windows user, follow similar steps, just use something like WinSCP or any similar windows based SSH client. I don't believe fugu is available for windows, but I could be wrong.





    How to create your own themes using Winterboard (he only does a basic tutorial, but once you get the hang of this, you pretty much will know how to edit anything you want.) He starts with an intro to winterboard, if you're more advanced, you can skip a section or two, but this is good for beginners...it starts slow and then gets in depth...





    As far as anything else goes, if you get stuck or have questions, how about we ask all questions in this thread?

    Also, if you want to know a few places to get icon packs or wallpaper packs, or want to share cool ones, put that here too.

    I personally find a wealth of wallpapers and icon packs on deviantart.com

    I also found quite a few different sets of SMS bubbles from modmyi.com (you can also achieve the same goal from googling "different color iPhone SMS bubbles" and it brings up several places to download cool SMS bubbles from). I know Cydia has a limited selection right now.

    You can also MAKE your own icons. Me and my brother use Photoshop for this, but any similar program will do. I believe the typical dimensions for iPhone icons are 59 x 60. Most people use around that range when creating them.


    *Note: Keyboard themes do NOT currently work with 3.x firmwares, there are certain ways to get them working, but SSH'ing and modding some files on your phone is necessary.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  2. #2  
    billyeha66's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default

    Do you download those straight to your phone or to your desktop then SSH them to the phone?
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ba04560 View Post
    Do you download those straight to your phone or to your desktop then SSH them to the phone?
    Well it depends on what you want to do.

    There are several themes pre-made and available through Cydia and icy that will download straight to your phone and you just activate them through winterboard. This is more if you want to edit a theme, use icon packs that you have to download. Modmyi.com has a lot of themes and icon packs, but in order to use some of them that aren't on Cydia, you have to SSH into the phone and put them in the system files.

    As a beginner, I'd say, once you get the basics of Winterboard and Cydia down, then try something like this when you feel comfortable with it. SSH'ing in your phone is a very powerful tool/action, and you have the ability to create/delete files that are vital to your phone functioning, so until you feel comfortable doing so...I wouldn't recommend it.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  4. #4  
    billyeha66's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm starting to pick this up pretty fast now. I tried the SSH thing you were referring to and was able to use the illumine icons and style but combined it with the killer carbon wallpaper and it looks great. Started with baby steps now I'm ready for something bigger. Is there somewhere that explains in detail on changing these up to your own liking, ie... the correct file name and which folder is the correct one to move it to? If you take the icons from another place do you need to delete the original icon file in order for it to work? Basically I guess I'm looking for a tutorial. Thanks for all your help you've given me already, it's like having a whole new phone. I can't believe I waited this long to switch from Blackberry and to jailbreak my 3gs.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ba04560 View Post
    I'm starting to pick this up pretty fast now. I tried the SSH thing you were referring to and was able to use the illumine icons and style but combined it with the killer carbon wallpaper and it looks great. Started with baby steps now I'm ready for something bigger. Is there somewhere that explains in detail on changing these up to your own liking, ie... the correct file name and which folder is the correct one to move it to? If you take the icons from another place do you need to delete the original icon file in order for it to work? Basically I guess I'm looking for a tutorial. Thanks for all your help you've given me already, it's like having a whole new phone. I can't believe I waited this long to switch from Blackberry and to jailbreak my 3gs.
    Yep you will need to remove the .png files and replace them with the ones you want. The website linked in my first post has several step by step tutorials if you browse the site. It tells you what folders to create and whatnot. Seems like you're moving along pretty quick.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  6. #6  
    billyeha66's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default

    That's awesome, thanks again! I like to jump in with both feet.
  7. #7  
    billyeha66's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default

    Another problem. I downloaded the program for the ssh connection to my phone but it's not letting me connect anymore, it keeps giving errors then tries to reconnect. I've double checked address but still no luck. What am I doing wrong or missing?
  8. #8  
    billyeha66's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default

    Never mind, I figured it out. Had another one of my episodes but it past.
  9. #9  
    NateDawg67's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ba04560 View Post
    Never mind, I figured it out. Had another one of my episodes but it past.
    Was your problem that your iphone had gone to sleep? I had the same problem. Any trick to keeping it to stay on without having to slide my finger over it every 30 seconds?

    That was one of the things that I really liked about the Air Sharing app from the app store, it had a setting that kept the phone on for a certain length of time so it would stay connected to your comp. Had mine set at 5 minutes. I guess I could try opening Air Sharing while I try to SSH in....

    Great thread, btw!
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NateDawg67 View Post
    Was your problem that your iphone had gone to sleep? I had the same problem. Any trick to keeping it to stay on without having to slide my finger over it every 30 seconds?

    That was one of the things that I really liked about the Air Sharing app from the app store, it had a setting that kept the phone on for a certain length of time so it would stay connected to your comp. Had mine set at 5 minutes. I guess I could try opening Air Sharing while I try to SSH in....

    Great thread, btw!
    Yep, before you SSH, go to settings --> General ---> Auto-Lock --> Never

    Just remember to change it after you're done.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  11. #11  
    NateDawg67's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iMuggle View Post
    Yep, before you SSH, go to settings --> General ---> Auto-Lock --> Never

    Just remember to change it after you're done.
    Ah, perfect! Thanks again!
  12. #12  
    Tothemobile's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    58 Posts

    Default

    gr8. Thanks for the Gr8 post. Really helpful
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Not a problem guys
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  14. #14  
    zizon65's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default

    Hello iMuggle,
    What you've said is clear! Thus, I would like to know something, where to put the icons, In private/var/stash/themes/icons or in library/themes/icons? And do we have to rename them?

    Thanks
  15. #15  
    nfrederick's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts

    Default

    hey thanks alot
  16. #16  
    Vic_C's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Quick question....How do you get more than 4 icons in the bottom dock? I d/l Illumine and got it running but I dont know how to change the number of icons in the dock. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  17. #17  
    sargd66's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Try five icon dock works perfect.
  18. #18  
    Vic_C's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Thanks!!! Works like a charm!!
    Last edited by Vic_C; 10-11-2009 at 07:36 PM.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyotokiki View Post
    Never mind, I figured it out. Had another one of my episodes but it past.
    That'll happen from time to time.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  20. #20  
    tpj88's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    11 Posts

    Default

    I find this whole jailbreak thing quite cool however I am much to afraid to do it myself... Cool guide though, very in depth
  21. #21  
    Rayman2170's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts

    Default

    Hey I just recently returned to the jailbreak scene (thanks blackRa1n). when I was jailbroke in the 2.x days I could overlay a transparent image on top of my lockscreen background using a LockBackground.html file with winterboard. but now instead of doing that it makes the entire backround black then overlays the transparent image. I was just wondering if this was apples doing and/or if this is fixable or if a workaround is available.

    I have attached some example images. first is what it used to look like in 2.x , and the other how it looks in 3.x

    Same phone, same html file. The only things that have changed are 1. firmware version and 2. I used blackra1n instead of the dev-teams pwnage tool. can someone who used the pwnage tool plz confirm if you are experiencing this as well now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edit or make your own themes Tutorial (2.x/3.x)-img_0015.png   Edit or make your own themes Tutorial (2.x/3.x)-img_0016.png  
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    hmm that's an interesting problem. i would say, restore your phone, and use pwnagetool, see if that fixes your issues. seems like a lot of folks had trouble with blackra1n breaking some files. i am not sure...but i was having a LOT of issues after using blackra1n, i couldn't even get themes to load, then i restored and used pwnagetool, all is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman2170 View Post
    Hey I just recently returned to the jailbreak scene (thanks blackRa1n). when I was jailbroke in the 2.x days I could overlay a transparent image on top of my lockscreen background using a LockBackground.html file with winterboard. but now instead of doing that it makes the entire backround black then overlays the transparent image. I was just wondering if this was apples doing and/or if this is fixable or if a workaround is available.

    I have attached some example images. first is what it used to look like in 2.x , and the other how it looks in 3.x

    Same phone, same html file. The only things that have changed are 1. firmware version and 2. I used blackra1n instead of the dev-teams pwnage tool. can someone who used the pwnage tool plz confirm if you are experiencing this as well now.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  23. #23  
    Rayman2170's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    26 Posts

    Default

    it's just Everything else works fine, it's weird. I can use overlays
    on the springboard just not on the lockscreen. That's why I thought it
    was apple's doing.

    You say you jailbroke with pwnagetool, can you just test it for me and
    see if you're able to overlay a small transparent image on top of the
    background with a LockBackground.html file. It would save me alot of
    time if I knew if the problem existed in both jailbreak methods.

    i attached a simple theme that, if it works, should overlay a smiley face over whatever your lockscreen background is. If yours is also broken it will just be a smiley over a black background. just put the "Lockscreen test.theme" folder in your winterboard themes, tell me if it works and if you can please send a screenshot of your results.

    Thanx in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    Allyson Kazmucha's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,047 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,619 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 beta

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman2170 View Post
    it's just Everything else works fine, it's weird. I can use overlays
    on the springboard just not on the lockscreen. That's why I thought it
    was apple's doing.

    You say you jailbroke with pwnagetool, can you just test it for me and
    see if you're able to overlay a small transparent image on top of the
    background with a LockBackground.html file. It would save me alot of
    time if I knew if the problem existed in both jailbreak methods.

    i attached a simple theme that, if it works, should overlay a smiley face over whatever your lockscreen background is. If yours is also broken it will just be a smiley over a black background. just put the "Lockscreen test.theme" folder in your winterboard themes, tell me if it works and if you can please send a screenshot of your results.

    Thanx in advance
    I didn't have time to try it, but I can tell you this, I am pretty sure the issue is the way the springboard is caching icons and backgrounds after 3.1.2 - Apple changed the way files point in certain folders. That's the issue w/ icons not changing size w/ themes, etc...so I'd bet money that's probably what is causing your bg issue.

    The way I fixed the icon issue was to delete the cached copies of icons and then they'd resize. You'd have to find the folder or element in the phone that's causing the background image to cache and probably delete the cached one for it to work.

    I'm sure Cydia will release an update to this, or the makers of themes, etc...but until they do, we'll have to find fixes.
    Follow me on Twitter and Instagram!

    Editor, iMore.com
    ally@imore.com
  25. #25  
    Corrina's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    98 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    I've made my own theme, now how do I get it to where people can use it? lol
    Playing with iPhones since 2007.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions