What will you do?
When 3.1 comes rolling around. Will you un-jailbreak and go legit, or will you temporarily un-jailbreak and wait for a 3.1 JB? I plan on holding out on updating until there is a working public JB. This could take a while, because well, the dev team sucks at releasing things and GeoHot already said he has no further plans on a public release. That sucks.
I wish there were a way to upgrade without losing your JB and stuff. I have the apt backup, but I am wondering about where that backup is kept, anyone know?
- 08-25-2009, 05:27 PM #2iMore Pro
- 718 Posts
1) The dev-team does not suck at releases. They were waiting to release the 3.0 jailbreak in order to preserve a jailbreak for the masses past 3.1. There is a good possibility that if you were not jailbroken before 3.1, you will not be able to jailbreak at all after you upgrade. Dev-team usually releases a jailbreak within a week of the official release.
2) Instead of aptbackup, consider pakgbackup. It saves your jailbreak apps to a contact, which you then sync to iTunes and then sync back. You can also use Chronus to back up your contacts, as well as your other app store apps. Then restore those back ups after you update.
Personally I am not going to update until the jailbreak for 3.1 is released.
- 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM #3
- 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM #4
- 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM #5
However, I must take issue with you statement... 3.1 for the 3GS specifically will be a direct attempt to prevent it from being JB. The ECID has a purpose, Apple just botched how it was handled and made it easy for users to capture. Believe me, the implemenation of the ECID cost them enough already; they're pot committed.
- 08-25-2009, 07:29 PM #6
- 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM #7
- 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM #8
- 08-26-2009, 01:30 AM #9
Ill upgrade just to see how different my phone runs without the jailbreak and with new firmware. It gives me time to see if I even want to jailbreak again and by that time a jailbreak is out for the new firmware...then that almighty temptation sets in...the darkside calls me...
- 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM #11
- 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM #12
- 09-10-2009, 05:13 PM #13
- 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM #14
Apple started signing firmware releases so they can prevent people from going back. To limit problems in the wild, but also make it harder for unlocking, not really just jailbreaking. I think jailbroken devices make Apple enough money for them not to look for ways to really fight it. While the jailbreak might move around, I don't think they are actively looking for ways to 100% prevent it.
- 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM #15iPhone Newbie
- 38 Posts
Well the problem is, they are not really giving you a choice about upgrading to 3.1. Apparently if you have an issue with your phone and need to restore, they will no longer allow you to restore to whatever firmware you have on your phone, you are forced to upgrade to 3.1. I think that's pretty lame, I don't own any other device where I've been forced to upgrade firmware if I don't want to.
I'm pretty sure they're not that concerned over whether or not I have the ability to arrange my apps in itumes, so I have to assume it's to mess up the jailbreak process.
- 09-10-2009, 05:35 PM #16
- 09-11-2009, 11:41 AM #17
I just hope people saw the other warning signs contained in your post along with your clearly lazaie faire attitude to the whole thing and didn't take you too seriously. That's all.
I'm glad you're enjoying voice dial with BT, save a copy video and app arrangement... I'm still enjoying a fully capable device.
- 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM #18
I am definitely going to wait for a new JB solution before updating. The changes in 3.1 are not significant enough to un-JB for. I already have voice dialing thru my Car BT system so that's not an issue.
This is the first iPhone update which I have been jailbroken. It feels a bit weird waiting since I have jumped on each update the day it was released. This time however, I like the functionality that I have added via JB and don't neccessarily feel obligated to apply 3.1.
Last edited by JGold; 09-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
- 09-11-2009, 04:15 PM #19
sandos, if you're going to make accusations, check your facts, and ffs spell things right. There's nothing like bad spelling to **** off a teacher.
I did not upgrade to 3.1. I'm waiting. I never planned on upgrading instantly. Never suggested anyone else should, although I am eager for BT dialing.
- 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM #20
What other facts are you asking me to check, btw? And if there are facts I'm missing... I'd love to learn about your sources. Do you even know what role the ECID, iBEC and iBSS play in the installation of the IPSW??????
All said and done though I am eager for all that other stuff too... I just don't think someone with as much clout as you appear to hold here on these forums should be doing anything other than cautioning others to wait on their upgrade if you're going to comment in a thread like this. The way you said it, it sure sounded like you were saying "hey no big deal, this one's no different..." I would venture to say, as I did then... This is a different deal this time.
- 09-11-2009, 09:34 PM #21
Don't get your panties in a wad. What I said was "the purpose of upgrading is not to prevent jailbreak." If you interpreted that as "go ahead and do the update and don't worry," I question your interpretation skills. Thanks for thinking I have clout. Who knew.
- 09-11-2009, 10:06 PM #22
- 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM #23