Springboard Themes

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay I just jailbroke my iPhone yesterday, no problems with that piece of cake.I installed the winterboard I understand that totally. When I download a theme no problem I go to winterboard and activate it. Now here is what I am CONFUSED about when I download a Theme (springboard) what the heck is that? Nothing happens nothing shows its like I didnt do it. It shows in the manager so I know it downloaded. What is springboard when I do the springboard theme what should happen? Please help

Bombsquad6116

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, im not sure why it isnt showing, but the springboard is what your icons sit on. Like what you see when you dont have any apps open. The only guess i have is that the springboard theme you downloaded isnt compatible with your current Operating system.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Once you have downloaded the theme go into winterboard and select it (Tap it and there should be a checkmark come up showing you have selected it). If you are themeing small parts of the OS with other things, make sure they are placed above the main theme you have selected.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok Im gonna probably ask alot of questions the next couple of days till I learn this so please bare with me. How do you know if something is compatible with the OS? I just dowloaded one just any one, okay this one worked. Now, how come some of the icons change to the new theme and some dont? Also if I read it right it says you can choose from two different wallpapers in the same app. Am I reading this wrong can you change from within an app if it has that option. I hope I make sense!!

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
How do you know if something is compatible with the OS?

It will either say that it is in the description, or you will just have to try it and see.

I just dowloaded one just any one, okay this one worked. Now, how come some of the icons change to the new theme and some dont?

There are over 50000 apps in the app store, no one is going to skin an icon for each app. The ones that didn't change....did not have icons provided for them in the theme.

Also if I read it right it says you can choose from two different wallpapers in the same app. Am I reading this wrong can you change from within an app if it has that option. I hope I make sense!!

Yep, just ssh into root/library/themes/themename.theme and you will probably see a file named Wallpaper.png and a Wallpaper_Alt.png to change the wallpaper, just rename Wallpaper.png to something else and rename Wallpaper_Alt.png to Wallpaper.png

Remember when adding icons, changing wallpapers etc...the filenames on the phone are case sensitive. wallpaper.png is not the same as Wallpaper.png as far as the phone is concerned.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok like UI sounds what is that and where is that? I looked in settings under sound nothing there. Really Im not this stupid, lol

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
UI sounds will change the OS sounds of the phone to something else, like possibly the lock sound, or sms notifications or email sounds. If they are added with the theme, all you should need to do is activate the theme, if they are added seperate, you will need to activate them in winterboard.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@Shutter

You did answer alot for me. I am going to stick with what shows on the winterboard and stay with that, lol. So if I download something and it doesnt show on the winterboard then it is not compatible, correct. I might as well uninstall it at that point? A system theme and a springboard theme seem to be the same.

Last edited:

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@Shutter

Okay last question, maybe at least for today. A system theme and a springboard theme seem to be the same. Are they?

Last edited:

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Not the same, a springboard theme is only going to theme the springboard and maybe a few other elements. A system theme is going to theme alot more of the OS. I've never used a system theme, I have stayed away from themeing too much of the phone cause the bigger/heavier themes cause lag, IMO. This probably won't be noticable on the 3GS but it sure was on the 3G. I am personally not running winterboard any more on my 3GS and I think it runs smoother.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@Shutter

Any recomendations on any apps that seem to be good and popular. Actually I think I meant Themes (Complete) not the (system) Theme seem the same as springboard. How do you know if there is a new version of an app or like new version of 3Gunrestrictor?

strickler

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
If there is an update of something you have gotten from cydia it will show up under 'changes' at the top of the list. from there you can update it

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner