Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Unhappy syncing with outlook

I am a long time Win Mobile user and am used to syncing from Outlook (calendar, contacts, notes and tasks(to do). I am about to make the plunge and go iphone g/s. I have seen that you can sync calendar and contacts, but seem to have found conflicting info as far as syncing notes and tasks. Notes and tasks are important to me. I know there are 2 ways to sync-- by using a cord connecting my pc and the iphone, and mobile me. I have always used microsoft activesync to sync with outlook. Other that syncing over the air with mobile me, will it and the corded solution offer the same type of syncronization?
    I know that there are other benefits when using mobile me.

iMore Actual

1,898 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,463 Global Posts

Are you using an Exchange server behind Outlook? If so, both Outlook and your iPhone would sync with Exchange "over the air" (OTA). You can also use the USB tether and sync via iTunes, but if you have Exchange, I wouldn't bother.

I believe ActiveSync will sync Email, Calendars, and Contacts.

I'm not sure about Notes, but I think those can be synced via iTunes (haven't tried, anyone else?)

There's no native task/to-do manager for the iPhone, so no syncing for that unless you find a third-party app with Outlook support (but I'm not aware of any).
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

You can s ync notes through iTunes to Outlook. I haven't figured out how to view them in Outlook though.

(when I got the 3GS to replace my 3G, my notes were the only thing sync'd back from my computer.)
    iPhone Intermediate

103 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Notes will sync in both directions, but no luck on tasks thus far.

Hopefully Apple will add tasks to the menu some day.
    TiPb Forum Staff

1,839 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

Here is my Outlook Task solution. It involves a paid app (the one I use is $10) but there are a few others that would work that are cheaper.

1. Sign up for a free account at Toodledo.
    2. Install and configure ToodledoSync.
    3. Pick a iPhone task app that syncs with Toodledo. If you search "Toodledo" you will find ones that do. Although Toodledo makes their own, I prefer Appigo's Todo. [iTunes link]

As far as Notes goes, I say move everything into Evernote. [iTunes Link]You will not look back after switching.