Interesting apps that do NOT require Winterboard?

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So, I tried Winterboard to see what the LockScreen looks like. That lasted all of about a half hour as Winterboard made my phone slower than molasses in winter. Uphill.

So now I have only Intelliscreen and ToneFXs, both of which I purchased. And oh yeah, Cycorder just for fun. And can any of the apps from the app store upload Cycorder videos to youtube?

So what other cool nifty apps can I get that don't require Winterboard?

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
You need Pixelpipe from the app store, and PPenabler from Cydia. It changes the default location of Cycorders video files into the DCIM folder so that pixelpipe can see them. Also means that when you plug your iPhone into your PC you get to see your videos as well as your photos.

I chose not to use intelliscreen, instead I use Notifier to give me icons in the status bar for missed calls, emails and texts etc, plus Lock Calendar to display my next few calendar entires on the lockscreen. Neither need Winterboard to work. So now on my lockscreen I can see if I've had any messages or calls, and I can see upcoming events. Job's a good un :)

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I use intelliscreen also. I can't get along without it. I suppose it is slowing my device down...but I've eliminated so much other stuff I don't notice.

I also choose not to use winterboard. I tried it a couple of times but I hate the performance hit. I've found that so much stuff uses winterboard that you have to be careful what you install.

Five Icon Dock doesn't require winterboard. What I want to know is does it impact performance. Some say that it does. I took it off the other day but I'd love to put it back on...if the performance hit is negligible.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
You need Pixelpipe from the app store, and PPenabler from Cydia. It changes the default location of Cycorders video files into the DCIM folder so that pixelpipe can see them. Also means that when you plug your iPhone into your PC you get to see your videos as well as your photos.

I chose not to use intelliscreen, instead I use Notifier to give me icons in the status bar for missed calls, emails and texts etc, plus Lock Calendar to display my next few calendar entires on the lockscreen. Neither need Winterboard to work. So now on my lockscreen I can see if I've had any messages or calls, and I can see upcoming events. Job's a good un :)

What repo is PPenabler in? I don't think I have it.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, damn. Cydia keeps crashing on me. I installed aptbackup, and now Cydia won't come up. It's crashing. WTF?

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'd recommend 3G unrestrictor. it takes off most of the "You must be on WiFi" messages you always get (say for downloading apps larger than 10 MB, or Skype)

You NEED SBSettings if you don't have ti already. I don't know what I'd do without it.

LockDown is cool cause you can password protect individual apps rather than the entire store, and i believe it was free.

iRealSMS (just the quick reply version) is like 5 bucks but it allows you to compose and reply to messages without leaving your current running application or lockscreen. This is one of the major reasons i jailbroke in the first place.

Backgrounder is awesome because it allows any app to run in the background whether it's programmed to do so or not. makes pandora or slacker radio apps perfect.

AptBackup is good in case of emergencies because it makes a list of everything from cydia so that if you ever have to rejailbreak (which you most likely will) it'll redownload and install everything from Cydia for you.

Chronus is another backup, but it backs up all settings for individual apps and the paid version lets you backup all at once and then move that folder off onto your computer using SSH.

EDIT: thought of something else. There's a tweak that makes your icons wiggle free when moving them around. I freaking love it. Think it's just called wiggle free or something but it's under tweaks in cydia i think.
Hope that helps. I'd recommend just exploring Cydia. I've found all of these by doing that.

Last edited:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I would like to keep exploring Cydia, but for some reason mine keeps crashing on me. I've tried the powerdown/reboot process three times and it keeps doing it.

Don't tell me I have to restore and then jailbreak all over again? That's gonna be a pain the ass.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I followed the instructions on this webpage. Well, I'm restoring now. I never had luck with jailbreaking to begin with. The last time under 2.2.1 didn't last but a week or so. This time it lasted two days.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I've only jailbroke my phone 2 times on 3.0. I kinda screwed some stuff up myself haha.

I run on latest iTunes (8.2.1) on Mac OSX 10.x.x (whatever the latest is on that) and use the Pwnage tool for 3.0. Haven't had any trouble with it. All of my problems have come from another program or me screwing around in SSH lol

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I followed the instructions on this webpage. Well, I'm restoring now. I never had luck with jailbreaking to begin with. The last time under 2.2.1 didn't last but a week or so. This time it lasted two days.

Remember when jailbreaking do not restore from backup. That is a lesson I learned and I can tell a HUGE difference in battery life and performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2