What does the iPhone backup actually backup?

maxf

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I've searched google to try to find some more information about what exactly is included in the iPhone backup, but all I could find was this (applematters.com/article/app-developers-should-boycott-the-iphone) and that has still left me confused. So, I thought I would ask the knowledgeable community here at TiPb!

Does the iPhone backup include 3rd party data like game scores, or more importantly other data like, for example, paintings created using the app Brushes? Furthermore, I'm curious as to the jailbreak files. I've jailbroken my iPhone 3GS with the latest release of Purplerain and wonder whether those changes are saved in the backup (I would assume not, but am curious none-the-less)!

If anyone can shed any light on this I would really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Max

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about jailbreak stuff, but a backup does include all 3rd party apps including the two you mentioned. Any data that is saved in an app will be backed up. A backup also includes text messages, contacts, bookmarks, settings, photos, etc... so basically everything.

maxf

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the response Leanna!

That's good to hear that pretty much everything is backed up. I guess what I'm worried about is that (god forbid) if my iPhone gets lost or is stolen (or I break it with some hackery :rolleyes:), that I can restore back to a nice working state with all my data intact!

If you have any links of recommended reading for learning more about the iPhone filesystem, etc I would be very grateful!

Cheers,

Max

tonybove

Mar 27, 2009
www.tonybove.com
Leanna @llofte is right, but not "everything" is backed up. You still need to back up your content -- any photos/movies you take with the camera (which are synced back to your photo library on your computer), and all music (including voice memos), videos, podcasts, and audiobooks, which are synced back to your iTunes library on your computer. You need to backup these libraries in case your computer gets in trouble.

maxf

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Oh really? Photos and Movies taken with the camera aren't included in the backup? Only in the sync?:confused:

PS. I don't see the scales on any other people's posts but my own. Is this because I'm a new member to the forums?

only1jonarius

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
all movies and pics in the camera roll are saved on bck-up...and yes JB data is saved when bckD-up...for instance when I restored my phone the bckd-up and downloaded s JB apps on SBSettings had the same JB apps alrdy in the "Dock" automatically

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Oh really? Photos and Movies taken with the camera aren't included in the backup? Only in the sync?:confused:

Taken from iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

iTunes will backup the following information:

iPhone OS 1.1 and later
  • Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, and currently open pages
  • Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps
  • Application settings, preferences, and data
  • Address Book and Address Book favorites
  • Calendar accounts
  • Wallpapers
  • Notes
  • Call history
  • Mail accounts
  • YouTube bookmarks
  • SMS messages
  • Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections)
  • Camera roll (photos and screen shots taken by the iPhone)
  • Voicemail token (this is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)
  • Web clips
  • Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences)
  • Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup)
  • Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. The keychain can only be restored from backup to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device, you will need to fill in these passwords again.)
With iPhone 2.0 and later
  • Managed Configurations/Profiles
  • List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
  • Microsoft Exchange account configurations
  • Nike+iPod saved workouts and settings
  • App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
New with iPhone 3.0
  • Videos in camera roll
  • Per app preferences allowing use of location services
  • Offline web application cache/database
  • Voice memos
  • Autofill for web pages
  • Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified
  • Web sites approved to get the location of the device
  • In-app purchases
PS. I don't see the scales on any other people's posts but my own. Is this because I'm a new member to the forums?
Probably. My guess is you'll see the scales once you have 10 posts.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK so is the backup with the Jailbreak only on 3Gs, do you mean the Jailbreak app settings or everything? because I'm actually in the process right now after having my screen replaced of restoring, jailbreaking my phone. All previous times as well as this time none of my jailbreak apps or settings are restored. I restore from my backups of my Jailbroken phone and the restore only includes all my Apple apps, music, notes, etc. The only remnants of Jailbreak that get restored is my custom carrier tag. I have a 16GB 3G.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Backing up will not backup the jailbreak apps. Since it is not supported by Apple, they have no reason to design the jailbreak to capture those items.

It has been my experience that after a restore, one should set up as a new iPhone to avoid any possible issues.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
From different things I've read around the net, if you set it up as a new phone, then do a reset of all personal settings, this should get rid of any extra files that may be laying around. Then a restore from backup ( which shouldn't backup any jailbreak files ) will be all pretty and pristine. But, I could be VERY wrong.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

um this is wrong your photos do get backed up. I know this by experiencing it. so when and if you restore your phone from a previous back up you'll get your photos.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think what the user was talking about is if you sync and the photos are on the laptop and removed from the IPhone. You have to backup the laptop or your music and pictures on the laptop to prevent loss.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know where on the Mac the Iphone backups are stored? I've got multiple backups some from my 1st gen so I'd like to get rid of all of them and create a fresh new backup.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know where on the Mac the Iphone backups are stored? I've got multiple backups some from my 1st gen so I'd like to get rid of all of them and create a fresh new backup.

You should be able to go to iTunes>Edit>Preferences>Devices

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice