What does the iPhone backup actually backup?
03-05-2010 04:30 AM
- Hi All,
I've searched google to try to find some more information about what exactly is included in the iPhone backup, but all I could find was this (applematters.com/article/app-developers-should-boycott-the-iphone) and that has still left me confused. So, I thought I would ask the knowledgeable community here at TiPb!
Does the iPhone backup include 3rd party data like game scores, or more importantly other data like, for example, paintings created using the app Brushes? Furthermore, I'm curious as to the jailbreak files. I've jailbroken my iPhone 3GS with the latest release of Purplerain and wonder whether those changes are saved in the backup (I would assume not, but am curious none-the-less)!
If anyone can shed any light on this I would really appreciate it!
Max07-27-2009 03:29 AM
- I don't know about jailbreak stuff, but a backup does include all 3rd party apps including the two you mentioned. Any data that is saved in an app will be backed up. A backup also includes text messages, contacts, bookmarks, settings, photos, etc... so basically everything.07-27-2009 03:35 AM
- Thanks for the response Leanna!
That's good to hear that pretty much everything is backed up. I guess what I'm worried about is that (god forbid) if my iPhone gets lost or is stolen (or I break it with some hackery ), that I can restore back to a nice working state with all my data intact!
If you have any links of recommended reading for learning more about the iPhone filesystem, etc I would be very grateful!
Max07-27-2009 04:34 AM
- Leanna @llofte is right, but not "everything" is backed up. You still need to back up your content -- any photos/movies you take with the camera (which are synced back to your photo library on your computer), and all music (including voice memos), videos, podcasts, and audiobooks, which are synced back to your iTunes library on your computer. You need to backup these libraries in case your computer gets in trouble.07-27-2009 07:26 PM
iTunes will backup the following information:
iPhone OS 1.1 and later
- Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, and currently open pages
- Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps
- Application settings, preferences, and data
- Address Book and Address Book favorites
- Calendar accounts
- Call history
- Mail accounts
- YouTube bookmarks
- SMS messages
- Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections)
- Camera roll (photos and screen shots taken by the iPhone)
- Voicemail token (this is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)
- Web clips
- Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences)
- Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup)
- Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. The keychain can only be restored from backup to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device, you will need to fill in these passwords again.)
- Managed Configurations/Profiles
- List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync)
- Microsoft Exchange account configurations
- Nike+iPod saved workouts and settings
- App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
- Videos in camera roll
- Per app preferences allowing use of location services
- Offline web application cache/database
- Voice memos
- Autofill for web pages
- Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified
- Web sites approved to get the location of the device
- In-app purchases
Last edited by Leanna Lofte; 07-28-2009 at 03:42 AM.07-28-2009 03:38 AM
- OK so is the backup with the Jailbreak only on 3Gs, do you mean the Jailbreak app settings or everything? because I'm actually in the process right now after having my screen replaced of restoring, jailbreaking my phone. All previous times as well as this time none of my jailbreak apps or settings are restored. I restore from my backups of my Jailbroken phone and the restore only includes all my Apple apps, music, notes, etc. The only remnants of Jailbreak that get restored is my custom carrier tag. I have a 16GB 3G.07-28-2009 03:07 PM
- From different things I've read around the net, if you set it up as a new phone, then do a reset of all personal settings, this should get rid of any extra files that may be laying around. Then a restore from backup ( which shouldn't backup any jailbreak files ) will be all pretty and pristine. But, I could be VERY wrong.07-28-2009 03:29 PM
- 07-28-2009 06:26 PM
- 07-29-2009 10:08 AM
- Apple Software & Systems
- Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
What does the iPhone backup actually backup?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD