Jailbreak Experience on 3G vs 3GS

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
Hi all, I used to be jailbroken on my 3G and had it for about 3 weeks before deciding to revert back to the unjailbroken iPhone. I remember that it made my phone extremely slow and would make my iPhone freeze up. However, I did enjoy the features of jailbreaking but just not enough to warrant having my iPhone crash frequently.

Now that I have a 3GS, I'm thinking of jailbreaking again but I wanted to know what you guys thought first. With the specs being better all-around for the 3GS, does being jailbroken seem much smoother on the 3GS vs the 3G?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

RADEN

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes. It's MUCH smoother in my opinion. I never owned a 3G but I've used my friend's jailbroken one several times and you can notice the speed difference. With my 3GS I barely notice a difference and even after all the crap I've put on it, it's still significantly faster than the 3G. The extra available memory does wonders for jailbreak. I haven't had any stability issues either.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I've gone from a jailbroken 3G to a jailbroken 3G, and the difference is night and day.

EVERYTHING just runs smoothly. Winterboard used to be a memory pig. It slowed everything down to a crawl on the 3G, but on my 3G, I have themes galore, PLUS a video background constantly running, and I haven't seen it slow down yet. Period.

I'd highly recommend it - but use purplera1n, not redsn0w! I've heard of lots of jailbreaking problems using refsn0w, and purplera1n is just simpler, cleaner, easier, and more complete of a jailbreaking tool. Just make sure that you use purplera1n RC2.

Good luck man. Like I said, I HIGHLY recommend it.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
When I had my 3G, I used Pwnage Tool. Is that not available for 3.0 yet? Or have people just moved on to bigger and better things in terms of jailbreaking software?

I will definitely try purplera1n though. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
When I had my 3G, I used Pwnage Tool. Is that not available for 3.0 yet? Or have people just moved on to bigger and better things in terms of jailbreaking software?

I will definitely try purplera1n though. Thanks for the feedback!

You want purplera1n -- it's the best JB tool for the 3GS. Does everything automatically, just run it and click the start button. A couple mins later your phone is JB.

wonderwebb

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I had same problems with my 3g when I first jailbroke along time ago so I reverted back. After posting on this forum about my experience I found solution to my original problems with my 3g .

Solution was easy ! Don't use 'winterboard'
I am jailbroke and running absolutelely fine with no lag at all ! I can't belive how well my 8g 3g is running jailbroken.

I think that the 3g is not powerful enough to run winterboard and gets seriously laggy when it is running it. That is why the 3gs seems to cope with the extra proccesing no probs at all. Get your old 3g out and jailbreak it . I can't belive I wasted so much time thinking jailbreaking was not worth it just because winterboard was messing things up.

See post on 'jailbreak and lag your opinion needed'

RADEN

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
So I just had the opportunity to compare my jailbroken 3GS with my sister's stock 3GS and mine is slightly slower. But I have a lot of crap on it: WinterBoard with a bunch of themes, tons of apps, SBSettings and QuickSMS (both which run on the springboard), etc. so I expected some slowdown. However, it's not noticeable at all during regular use and, like I mentioned, still significantly faster than a stock 3G. Ultimately, as wonderwebb mentioned, WinterBoard will be the most likely culprit of your phone slowing down you're really bothered by it.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Unfortunately, I won't be able to jailbreak my iPhone using Purplera1n since it doesn't work on my Powerbook G4 Power PC. :-(

Oh well.

If you guys have any other suggestions or know of any workaround please let me know. :-/

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried redsn0w?

I used redsn0w and it is pretty good. Just remember don't restore from backup, set it up like a new iphone and you'll like your battery life and the performance. I didn't believe it @ first because I didn't want to go through the setup again...but it works.

Plus the Dev-Team suggests that you setup as new rather than restore as well.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
I just decided to jailbreak using purplera1n on my work computer (PC) and it's been great so far. I miss being jailbroken and it's definitely a much better experience on the 3GS than the 3G.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Not a problem, man. I'm glad you took the plunge. You'll see, it's well worth it on the 3G. It's a totally different experience.

Argelius1

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Do Push Notifications work with 3.0/3GS Jailbreak?

Hey -- can anyone comment on if push notifications work with Jailbroken phones? I've seen posts elsewhere indicating this is a problem:

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure and shouldn't be posting I guess. But I understand that the issue with push messages came from unlocked not jailbroken phones.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner