Jailbreak has removed my carrier, HELP?!??!

carlos100

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I Just got ym new IPhone 3gs and I am in the UK on the O2 network.

I had read about no downsides to jailbreaking so took the plunge and followed the instructions, used redsnow (or whatever its called) and got it all working hunky dory fine, was able to install appas and the like to ym hearts content.

However I noticed in the top right signal bar area where I did have 2 or 3 bars of signal, I now have none and it no longer flashes up "O2UK"

I phoned up O2 and they said in my settings tab there should be a button for carrier, which is no longer there.

Help?

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carlos100

I too have a 3gs with o2 in the UK. Just one question if I may? Why did you choose that particular jailbreak version and not purplera1n? Did you jb with mac or pc and what version of software ie vista home premiums, xp 32 bit etc? does the phone still work with all functions available?

carlos100

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It was just the first one I saw and seemed to have been used for a long time with other versions of the IPhone, I didn't think it would matter.

I used a PC running Windows 7.

And the phone works perfectly as an Iphone just with no network connection, everything works, all the apps and functions, just no mobile network connection, even wifi is fine.

Worrying O2 have blocked it, but they had no idea of it so I am assuming they haven't

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi again
Do you have access to a pc with xp 32 bit on? I'm tipping over the edge to jb but have done lots of research. Purplera1n is designed to work with xp, vista and win 7 but all the success stories ive read so far are with xp 32bit. Personally I would do a restore in iTunes as a "new phone set up" and then re jailbreak with xp 32 bit if you can. If you want i have an oem version of the software i could help you out with? What part of the uk are you in ie north, south, london, middx, herts etc (dont give me your home address)
all the best
tezza

carlos100

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I got an XP 32bit copy here but thanks.

I am trying an Itunes restore now, does it normally take so long? It has been saying "Itunes is currently busy downloading software for the phone" for about an hour.

I will have to try purplera1n if the restore works :( fingers crossed

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Glad to hear you're sorted re the pc software. My first 3gs was faulty and i set the phone up as new to try a few things and remember it was around an hour. It probably feels like its taking forever if you're sitting there looking at it.
Hope it all goes ok and purplera1n is the answer to your prayers.
one question: what do you want to change about the original iPhone to make you want to jb it? what do you want the phone to do now its jailbroken?

carlos100

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
one more question, if I restore it and it does work, if I need to restore again for any reason does it take this long again to download stuff?

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
if you ever have to restore the phone after a jb then you should always restore the phone 'as new' and not from an old back up. the process will always take around the same amount of time as its setting everything up from scratch. it also means you loose all of your themes, apps and other settings as well.

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
when you connect the phone to iTunes you choose restore. When you select this you should be able to select restore from back up or set up as a 'new'. Choose the option as 'new'. Having done lots of research on jailbreaking this is the option guaranteed to ensure a smooth and clean install.

tezza

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
coooool. well done. was this through a restore from new? did you re jailbreak?
its worth checking out youtube with people jailbreaking their 3gs with purplera1n on windows. 1 minute process :0)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711