OMG I just had to rejailbreak...

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm kinda angry. I read somewhere that Lock sScreen Info was a better and cheaper version of Intelliscreen.

When I installed LSI it also installed winterboard which I don't care for. So, I decided to uninstall it. Well LSI came off fine but when I went to remove winterboard all hayle broke loose. My 3Gs wouldn't start. IT would just go to the apple screen and then turn off. So I had to do DFU restore, then jailbreak and put humpty dumpty together again.

Anyone else have a problem with removing winterboard on the 3Gs?

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I had the same issue uninstalling WB. Since then I have avoided it like plague!

YUP! I hear ya. It'll be forever and a day before I put that puppy back on. I was trying to avoid it because it slowed down my 3G so much. I didn't want anything dragging my 3GS.

I think if something is going to install winterboard they oughta tell ya in the write up on the app.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Actually, in Cydia, when you click "Install", it brings up a new dialog window that lists all of the items it will be installing. It's the screen where you have to tap "Confirm"....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Also, you just have to take it in stride that every so often, you're GOING to have to restore + rejailbreak. The entire process (for me) takes about 3 - 3.5 hours. It's not too bad a price to pay for a pumped out iPhone that all of my friends are in love with. :)

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Really? I have only had to restore and re-jailbreak once and that was at the begining. I dont plan on ever have to do it again. If I do I WILL BE SO PISSED

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I've had to do it twice in the past 1.5 months. Once on the 3G, when mobile substrate was updated and it didn't play well with ToneFX, it put me in safe mode non-stop. The only way to fix it was to restore + rejailbreak.

The other time was on my 3G, right before I upgraded. Cycorder had a problem because of "SwapCameraRoll". It was making the videos from Cycorder dissappear into thin air, and then because of that glitch eventually Cycorder stopped working completely.

Ultimately, restoring and setting up as a new iPhone then rejailbreaking helped fix both situations completely.

Trust me, sometimes, it just has to happen.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Also, you just have to take it in stride that every so often, you're GOING to have to restore + rejailbreak. The entire process (for me) takes about 3 - 3.5 hours. It's not too bad a price to pay for a pumped out iPhone that all of my friends are in love with. :)

I know. I'm an old WM user who used to flash new roms like once a week.
The sync just takes so long that first time. Plus with 3.1 on the horizon...I know I'll have to do it again. But, I'll wait until the jailbreak is out.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah every new OS update breaks the Jailbreak plus these third part apps are not sanctioned by apple so you have to take it in stride and it only cost you a bit of your time although it is frustrating to put all your apps back on again. I have a list of all my jailbreak apps so if I have to re-jailbreak I spend maybe half an hour putting everything back.

Goldentree

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Winterboard is cool, but it does kinda dominate your system. I have this nifty app called "swap mode" that disables all springboard mods for gaming purposes. I use it when I need my phone to have that extra memory and speed for whatever reason, then switch back to normal mode for daily phone use so I can have my winterboard and other mods. But when I re-jailbreak again, I too will probably just skip Winterboard altogether. I love the themes, but I think I like the responsiveness more.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re-jailbreaking isn't that bad, and you should expect to do it, especially with updates to the firmware >.<

The process for me takes < 30 min. and that's with restoreing all of my Cydia apps using the app backup tool from Cydia. I'm running on a Mac though, so that may have some to do with it.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey, I have a question - you said that it takes you less than 30 minutes, using the app fr Cydia that backs up your stuff - I assume "Apt Backup".

Out of all of the things I've learned bow to do, use and manipulate, I still have no idea how to use this application!

Anyone care to explain in depth how to use "Apt Backup"??

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Sure. It's really simple actually. Before a re-jailbreak, run Apt Backup, and press Backup. Then, go into iTunes and back up your iPhone. When you've jailbroken again, run a restore with that iTunes backup (which will only restore your settings and apps from iTunes). Then download Apt Backup from cydia and run a restore (this can take a while depending on how many packages you have from Cydia).

It takes me < 30 min. because mac's tend to jailbreak quicker and I have a bunch of little apps from Cydia, nothing major aside from Cycorder and SBsettings.

EDIT: Apt backup doesn't backup settings or anything. It basically creates a list of cydia packages and automatically has cydia download and install them for you. Sort of like iTunes and all its app settings.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Im guessing you probably heard that Lockinfo was better and cheaper from my thread. haha. Sorry about that..

It is way better, but you DO have to have winterboard :/

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Sure. It's really simple actually. Before a re-jailbreak, run Apt Backup, and press Backup. Then, go into iTunes and back up your iPhone. When you've jailbroken again, run a restore with that iTunes backup (which will only restore your settings and apps from iTunes). Then download Apt Backup from cydia and run a restore (this can take a while depending on how many packages you have from Cydia).

It takes me < 30 min. because mac's tend to jailbreak quicker and I have a bunch of little apps from Cydia, nothing major aside from Cycorder and SBsettings.

EDIT: Apt backup doesn't backup settings or anything. It basically creates a list of cydia packages and automatically has cydia download and install them for you. Sort of like iTunes and all its app settings.

The problem is that it is not like the itunes backup because it doesn't backup any app settings. :( That is why I haven't used it. Does it backup stuff from user installed sources as well, or only default cydia sources?

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. iTunes must not like me 'cause if I have to reinstall an app my progress on it is reset.

There may be other solutions. I'll do some searching, but as far as I know, it's only for cydia applications (that's what it says in the instructions anyway "cydia installed apps").

EDIT!!! Found app called Chronus in Cydia that seems to backups settings for just about all of my apps. The only thing is that you need to move the backup from your phone to your computer using SSH (iPhone Browser, Cyberduck, etc. just google if you don't have one).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2