Unlocking to move to T-Mobile - HELP!

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I've just got off the phone with AT&T because of our situation. When I signed up by phone a week and a half ago I gave the ATT person totally honest information. She then entered a fake address for me on our account. I asked her if she could do that and she said it was fine because I didn't live in an ATT coverage area but since there was no roaming anymore that using a different address was not an issue. I asked her again if that was ok and she assured me that it was.

I have not been comfortable with this situation so I called AT&T today and have been on the phone with them for an hour. I have to leave AT&T but they are not going to give me an ETF (under 30 days anyway) but because of the fraud on the part of their agent they are going to allow me to keep our two iPhones.

Now, here's the thing. I can take them to T-Mobile as they have local coverage in our area but I know that in order to use them there that I have to unlock them. I am one week new to the Iphone and would sincerely appreciated some step by step instructions on what I need to do in order to get these phones ported over to TMO.

Also, what iPhone functions am I going to lose when I go to tmobile?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better so that I can get off the AT&T network. Actually, they were very nice and generous in working with them because they can see what their rep did do add this account and get the phones to us.

R

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
You will lose 3G signal.

Actually, in talking to TMO this afternoon it turns out that they are adding 3G into our area when the Verizon/Alltel merge goes through in late September or early October of this year. In any case, that's not a killer because they do have edge, much slower but usable at least. More important that my wife gets to keep her Iphone, she has fallen in love with it!

Again, I need easy/noob step by steps to just unlock these phones. Don't care about jailbreaking or anything else right now. Also, what happens to backups? Do I need to keep a new backup as the source if case a recovery is required?

R

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
You CANNOT use T-Mobiles 3G signal with iPhone will not work. And I would keep a backup just incase you need to restore.

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
When I check out the links above that you gave they say that they are NOT for 3GS. Our phones are not even two weeks old and both are 3GS.

When I go to the website for geohot it talks about purplesn0w but refers to having "cydia" on the phone. Don't know what it is or how to get it there. It also talks about installing com.geohot.xxx and I really don't know how to get in on the phone.

Sorry, hate to sound so dumb but this is my first iphone and I'm clueless about most of it.

R

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I managed to get both phones jailbroken and unlocked. What should have been a 15 minute job turned into almost two hours. The problem was not the instructions, the problem was me. Anyway, I managed to get it done and the phones are now unlocked and jailbroken and ready to move to TMO.

Tramain, thank you for the help and your patience. It wouldn't have happened without your help.

Now I just read about changes on TMO for using the iphone and have to take care of this (sigh).

R

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2