jailbreak and lag! your opinion needed!

Is your Jailbroken phone slower and more laggy!

• No

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Slightly

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Significantly

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wonderwebb

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
As a regular reader of tipb i have watched the jailbreak scene for quite a while.

As my 3g was getting old and with the release of 3.0 i thought why not lets jailbreak if something bad happened to my phone it would give me an excuse to go and upgrade to the 3gs lol!
Anyway followed the excellent guide on the blog and every thing went well!

So i began downloading apps such as winterboard backgrounder etc.
I started to notice alot more lag on my phone especially when swiping screens using the keyboard and in general phone felt slower .

Anyway my volume control broke away from my phone so i booked in with apple who said they would replace it - result! So i restored my phone and unjailbreaked -Gone was all lag!
Got my new replacement today all shiny and not a single scratch lol
Just restored my phone from back up and am now debating wether or not to jailbreak again? Can i suffer the lag for a phone which is ultimately better jailbroken or do i stick with the official software and let everything run without glitch ? hmmm tough one.

As an afterthought things seemed to get really laggy when i applied a winterboard theme .

Maybe my old 3g was tired!

Anyone had a similar experience to me ?
What causes lag ?

And in case you are wondering backgrounder was not running:D

wonderwebb

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I stopped using the themes but still had lag ! So does that mean if u have downloaded it and are not using it its still capable of giving you lag just by being present on the phone?

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have downloaded Winterboard, Backgrounder, the Chrome theme from BigBoss. These were all things I assumed would slow my phone down a bit. I have not noticed a difference in performance. I used purplera1n on a 3gs.

Edit: My wallpaper is not a video wallpaper or anything fancy. Just a picture.

only1jonarius

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
same happenD with me concerning the lag so after many surprising safe mode occurences I restored & and re-jailbroke with fewer JB apps...NOW erything is a go...sumtimes it resprings when TOO much is going on but NO safe mode screens...is it just me or does the safe mode screen makes the iPhone look like it has a virus...lol

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
MobileSubstrate causes significant lag on my 3G 8GB but then I do have the memory full to almost the last kilobyte!

Uninstalled Winterboard, MobileSubstrate etc and it's as snappy and responsive as an unjailbroken phone.

Fine for me, as I don't want all the eye candy I just wanted Cycorder and Appsync ;)

eratanun

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
32gb 3gs with really no lag running winterboard. The only time I see a lag is working with apps I have in folders using categories.

Goldentree

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I both have iPhones. Mine is jailbroken and hers is not. Using her phone briefly after using mine all the time really shows how much faster hers is. Its crazy fast compared to mine, in terms of responsiveness. Almost enough for me to get rid of all my themes and other springboard add-ons. Almost. ;)

I think you could have a jailbroken phone and just install apps, never install springboard add-ons like SB Settings, Winterboard, etc. and hardly notice the speed difference, if at all. But those things are sooooo cool.

We have 3G phones, not the 3GS. I guess the 3GS is so fast you probably don't notice even with springboard stuff added on. Lucky bastards.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I tend to see lag with many of the larger winterboard themes, but not much. I use the iWood Realize theme for the most part and it all seems fine.

Times I see lag:

1. Backgrounder running something else (slacker, or other apps i'll be opening and closing a lot). It seems to lag down, but I'll just kill the process using SBSettings, and everything is fine.

2. App using QuickReply for texting (biteSMS, MySMS, etc.) will cause lag whenever i get a message, but it's usually not bad at all.

3. running any of the apple apps (safari & mail) that keep running after i've already "closed" them. this is a biggy. I typically run around 30 - 40 MB free memory on my 3G, and I'll notice that it drops to 10 - 20 whenever i've checked mail or safari. That's because the iPhone keeps them running even after you've "closed" them. I usually kill the process whenever i'm done with them.

All in all though, I haven't really experienced much lag at all, even with my 5 column springboard and dock and everything else i have running.

If all else fails, just start fresh and note what you did last whenever it starts becoming a problem again.

wonderwebb

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies have now jailbroken my new replacemenet and unlocked it!
Have not installed anything so far and lag seems fine for now like previous post says im going to download one app at a time and see which ones really bog down my phone.

'Looks like the 3gs is the phone to have jailbroken its got the horses under the hood to cope with all thats thrown at it '

wonderwebb

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Been jailbroke for over a month now and not one single problem my phone is better than it ever was before! And all it came down to was by not installing or using ' winterboard ' thanks to all who contributed wish I had asked this question a year ago my phone is now the dogs bollox!

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I have downloaded Winterboard, Backgrounder, the Chrome theme from BigBoss. These were all things I assumed would slow my phone down a bit. I have not noticed a difference in performance. I used purplera1n on a 3gs.

Edit: My wallpaper is not a video wallpaper or anything fancy. Just a picture.

The 3GS can handle jailbroken apps like nothing. as for backgrounder ha you can have a lot of apps running in the background on the 3GS hah the damn thing still runs fast and is as responsive as it is when you first bought it. My friend told me about this one. I tested it.

jayman30

Oct 28, 2008
www.iphonedownlow.com
I stopped using the themes but still had lag ! So does that mean if u have downloaded it and are not using it its still capable of giving you lag just by being present on the phone?

Mobile Substrate & Winterboard seemed to be causing significant lag and random Springboard crashes for me on my OS 3.0 3G so I uninstalled Winterboard and Mobile Substrate and the lag and crashes disappeared..

Prob. just unresolved bugs caused by the 3.0 update.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Mobile substrate and winterboard are stable. Springboard crashes are usually caused by some app that hasn't been ported to 3.0.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77