Will ATT/Apple unlock the iPhone 3GS AFTER the 2 yr contract period?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
They unlocked my Treo 650 (over the phone) without any problems.

Will they unlock the iPhone after my 2 year contract obligation is over?

Aloke Prasad

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
It is over 2 yrs for the 1st generation iPhones. Anyone tried asking ATT/Apple to officially unlock their 2+ year old iPhone?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Neither Apple or AT&T will unlock your phone for you. Several Apple sales people have told me that the only way Apple would/might unlock phones is after their exclusive contract with AT&T runs out, but even that was no guarantee. AT&T sales reps have told me on different occasions that they have no plans to unlock iPhones for customers and that they have no way to do it anyway.

One of my friends just had is 2G contract expire, and he mentioned unlocking to AT&T and they basically told him the same thing that I'd been hearing too. Essentially No. AT&T claims that since they're the only network that the iPhones are designed to work on, they won't do you a favor by unlocking the phone so that you can go somewhere else. I don't really blame them. Business is business. Maybe they should charge $100 bucks to do it or something? That being said, you can unlock your phone for free right now anyway...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2