confuse DFU mode (Ipod) and recovery mode (Iphone)

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
This case maybe little complicated.
1. First i backup my iphone data with itunes.7.7.1 (iphone OS 2.2.1).
2. After that i try upgrade my iphone to OS 3.0 with redsn0w-win_0.8. Because i want my data so i create one new virtual PC for upgrade OS 3.0 (i used itunes 8.2 and redsn0w-win_0.8 to upgrade OS 3.0 at Virtual PC).
3. After finish jailbreak via redsn0w-win_0.8 my iphone only emergency call.

4. So i try to restore back to 2.2.1. I tried restore from recevery mode(at this itunes detect my iphone as iphone). But this failed.
5. I tried restore from DFU mode (at this itunes detect my iphone as Ipod). So this failed too.

Questions:

1. How i can restore my iphone to OS 2.2.1 with successfull.

Please anyone can help because i used my iphone to work everyday.

TQ,

newbieiphoneblog

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but you cannot downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2.1. The baseband version included in 3.0 does not work with 2.2.1, and cannot be downgraded.

Which iPhone do you have? Right now, your iPhone is stuck on the "slide for emergency" screen because it's not activated. Redsn0w 0.8 should have given you the option to hactivate your iPhone. If you have an AT&T sim you can pop in there, or can borrow one from a friend, that should activate your iPhone too.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thx Matt74 and BuddhistGirafe,

For Matt47
First time i tried upgrade to OS 3.0 had check option unlock.
My iphone is jailbreak version so i not have AT&T sim card.
Can repair it with other solutions.

TQ.

For BuddhistGirafe
I had tried downgrade from DFU mode but my iphone know detect by itunes
is Ipod not Iphone. So i can't downgrade. Please can help me...

TQ.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thx BuddhistGifare,

Th for your reply.

I mean my Iphone detected as Ipod at DFU mode but detected as Iphone at recovery mode. So now i can't downgrade to my iphone. Have any solutions.

tx

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but you can't downgrade an iPhone from 3.0. Once you're at 3.0, you're stuck...

In 3.0 comes a new baseband version, which is the component that handles phone calls, texts and other communication with the cell network. The new baseband version is not compatible with earlier versions of the iPhone firmware and cannot be downgraded.

The reason Apple doesn't let you downgrade the baseband is because this is the component that is hacked when you unlock a phone. If you could just downgrade the baseband, it would be easy to undo new security they put in place with newer software version.

So with that said, here's what I think you need to do.

1) Make sure you are using iTunes 8.2
2) Use redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak your iPhone. Do not jailbreak it in a virtual machine... there's no reason since 0.8 comes in three version: Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
3) During the jailbreak, you should be given the option to hactivate your iPhone. You must select this option. This is what prevents the "slide for emergency" screen.
4) Launch Cydia and let it perform any upgrades it recommends.
5) Within Cydia, add repo666.ultrasn0w.com as a repository -- this is where you install ultrasn0w from.

I'm assuming your iPhone is being detected as an iPod due to some weird issue with your virtual machine. This is why I am recommending to not use a virtual machine.

Please let us know how this goes, or if you see any issues with what my understanding is.

Edit: Here's a youtube video that might help you with DFU mode.

Last edited:

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
One more thing... which iPhone are you using? I'm assuming it's a 3G... but if it's a 2G, then the directions are different.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thx Matt,

Sorry long time not reply result i get. I tried JB my iphone 2G.
Now my 2G Iphone can go in Cydia. But i can't connect to internet.

Can my iphone connect to internet via my Desktop(windows) to upgrade iphone with Cydia update.

Please show to me step by step

thx

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro