Want to jailbreak Ipod touch, but have some questions

ski

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I have had my iPod Touch 2G for a month and half, and I really like what I can do with it now, but now I want to jailbreak it. I saw a video on youtube about how to jailbreak my iPod with redsn0w, and it looks easy enough, but I don't want to just blindly jailbreak my iPod without first finding some things out.

1. Can I still download apps from the Apple app store? If not, is there some other way to get these apps?

2. What are the odds of bricking my iPod using Redsnow? If this happens, can I unbrick it?

3. Is it fairly easy to use Cydia to do custom stuff to my iPod?

4. What's better, Cydia or installer?

5. Are most of the things I can do with a jailbroken iPod done through Cydia?

Thanks!

ElmhurstTom

May 26, 2009
Visit site
1. Can I still download apps from the Apple app store? If not, is there some other way to get these apps?
You can still get apps through the app store like normal.

2. What are the odds of bricking my iPod using Redsnow? If this happens, can I unbrick it?
I bricked mine on the first try, but after watching a few of the many YouTube videos out there I was able to get mine back and running normal. I then tried the jailbreak again and it worked successfully.

3. Is it fairly easy to use Cydia to do custom stuff to my iPod?
Not sure on this one. Cydia is easy to use for the iPhone but I have not done anything with an iPod.

4. What's better, Cydia or installer?
Cydia is what I use and I think it is great. Other might disagree but I am not even sure what Installer is so my answer may not hold any merit.

5. Are most of the things I can do with a jailbroken iPod done through Cydia?
I would assume a jailbroken iPod is the same as a jailbroken iPhone. If that is the case the answer would be yes.

Good luck!
Tom

ski

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
How did you unbrick it? Like I said, I plan using Redsn0w, which looks fairly simple. Did you brick it using redsn0w? Is it even possible to brick it using redsn0w?

Also, how common are the syncing with computer problems I've heard about after jailbreaking?

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
If by any chance you do brick it, which by the way only ever related to the first gen iphone, you just hold down the home button while connecting to itunes (about 30 sec) untill it enters DFU. Then follow the onscreen instructions to restore. The "Bricking" people refer to these days just means your iphone/touch has crashed on the Apple logo screen. This is totally recoverable not like the origional iPhone 2g which would have meant it was a very expensive paper weight.

ski

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok thanks, good to know my iPod Touch won't be rendered completely useless in case something goes wrong. Guess I'll go ahead and try it, then!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711