- 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM #3
Here's how I'd do it if I was in your shoes.
- Sync up in iTunes so there's a good backup.
- Restore the iphone, let it activate, but when it asks to restore from a backup or set as a new phone, just close iTunes.
- JB with redsn0w 0.8, only installing Cydia -- not Icy
- Launch Cydia and update anything it recommends
- Install mobile substrate via Cydia
- Install RipDev repo via Cydia, which will allow you to install Icy
- Plug the iPhone back into iTunes, which should then ask you if you want to restore to a previous backup or setup as a new phone.... I'd select restore & pick the backup performed in step #1
This process usually takes me about 45 mins.
- 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM #4
- 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM #5
It's very much recommended to JB a fresh iPhone, which is why I directed him to take those steps. Doing the JB between the firmware restore and data restore makes it so the JB is performed on a virgin phone, yet maintains the data and settings on his phone.
I have followed these steps myself, and it actually works out very well.
Last edited by Matt74; 07-09-2009 at 10:28 PM.
- 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM #6
- 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM #7
- 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM #8
So the kernel patches needed for the 3G and the 3GS are very much different.
Edit: The reason redsn0w can JB all devices is that it detects which device is connected and performs the appropriate JB.
Last edited by Matt74; 07-09-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding redsn0w info
- 07-09-2009, 10:53 PM #9