Iphone 3G Icons & Apps Hidden.

swapworldin

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey All,

Ok, I was very excited about going to OS 3 on my 3G iPhone this morning that I didn't think about "unhiding" all the apps which are hidden with the "categories" app.

When I upgraded to 3.0 and then Jailbroke using redsnow, everything went fine but most of my apps are missing (actually, hidden). Even my "settings" app is hidden.

Bad move I know.

Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this?

Cheers
Swaps

Savio

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
You'll have to re-jailbreak, re-install Categories, and then remove everything from there. If you'd like, you can keep it jailbroken, or just restore back to stock.

swapworldin

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply..
By re-jailbrealing do you mean to restore back to 3.0 and then jailbreak again using red-snow ??
and how do i install categories.. Even if my cydia icon is visible i cant turn on my Wifi ..coz the Settings icon is hidden.

--Swaps

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
If you restore and rejailbreak it will not be hidden because when you restore it erases all you jailbreak settings.

c1nders

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is some info I come across, it's a life saver!! Thanks to JLR :D

Just recently I got a hold of an iphone 3g so it was time to upgrade from my original 2g phone. Here?s the problem though, my 2g was jailbroken and I had the Categories App installed. Here?s an important note for anybody that hasn?t gotten from a jailbroken iPhone to a non-jailbroken iPhone: make sure to remove your categories and place your apps back on the main Springboard before updating your iPhone.

If you don?t, the icons for those apps that were in your categories will remain hidden after you update the iPhone. So although you have the apps installed, they won?t show up and you can?t access them. So yes, I made that mistake, I updated without removing my categories.

The Solution

There?s a couple of solutions I?ve found? one is to re-jailbreak the iPhone, install SBSettings and unhide the icons through SBSettings.
What if Cydia was in a category?

This was my next dilemma; I had Cydia within a category so when I re-jailbreaked my iPhone, I didn?t have access to Cydia to install SBSettings. But luckily there was an option other than having to restore the phone and start from scratch.

iPhone General RestrictionsThere?s a simple solution which doesn?t involve jailbreaking; you can Enable Restrictions in Settings->General->Restrictions, go back to the main screen, then go back in and disable the restrictions. This will reset the file that determines which icons are shown and which are not. This is what finally gave me my icons back without having access to the apps in Cydia.
UPDATE 6/25/09

I?ve been getting lots of hits on this article recently, no doubt because of the iPhone 3.0 release. Anyhow, a common question asked which I did some research for:
What if Settings was in a category?

You?re going to need the following software:
iPhoneBrowser - Lets you browse the directory structure of your iPhone

Once you have that installed, connect your Iphone to your computer and launch iPhone Browser:

1. Using iPhone Browser go to:
/var/mobile/Library/Preferences
2. Find the file: com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
3. Delete that file
4. Restart iPhone

iPhoneBrowser is also a good tool to retrieve saved videos from Cycorder and take a peek under the hood of your iPhone. Beware though, this is all at your own risk.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77