Jailbreak Nerd Fight!!!

Which jailbreak solution do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
And I mean "nerd" in a good way. It seems like George Hotz and the Dev Team are getting into a little war of words on twitter this morning after the Dev Team released redsn0w for the iPhone 3GS. This release comes after Hotz beat the Dev Team to the punch with purplera1n.

Hotz had this to say on twitter a few minutes ago.

@iphone_dev @musclenerd @planetbeing @iszh1911 didn't you read the no stealing notice on my exploit...man up...credit where credit is due

Good times... gotta love it. ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Passionate rivalry is it? The cat and two mice game now?

*passes Bad Ash the popcorn*

It's obvious the Dev Team was pressured by Hotz to release the software. Hotz really made them look bad and now by them releasing it so soon after purplera1n, seems kind of lame.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I kinda have to side with geohot. He released his jailbreak because dev-team didn't want to.

Now that purplera1n is working beautifully, the dev-team releases a jailbreak that does the same exact thing, except not as smoothly and via a 10MB download instead of the 400k download.

Seems more like a "me too" release.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I voted purplera1n.

This morning, I restored my iPhone so that I could check out the new redsn0w. In order to do a JB with redsn0w, you have to manually put your iPhone into restore mode. This is different, as you used to have to put it in DFU. The JB also took a little longer, but was still on the fast side. A lot uglier too, as tons of text messages scroll up the screen... looks reminiscent of watching a unix system boot.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I voted purplera1n.

This morning, I restored my iPhone so that I could check out the new redsn0w. In order to do a JB with redsn0w, you have to manually put your iPhone into restore mode. This is different, as you used to have to put it in DFU. The JB also took a little longer, but was still on the fast side. A lot uglier too, as tons of text messages scroll up the screen... looks reminiscent of watching a unix system boot.

From what I've been hearing many people are siding with purplera1n as well. Should be interesting.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
push notifications?

On the topic of purplera1n vs. redsn0w.. I have been seeing rumblings about the "unofficial jailbreak solutions" (non dev-team releases) as missing critical kernel patches (saurik's words) and also experiencing push notification problems. I have waited too long for push notifications to have those screwed up.

Has anyone here had any issues with push using purplera1n? I saw the post by Rene earlier about JB phones having issue.

Also, what is the deal with the kernel patches missing? Does this lead to an unstable jailbreak? Or are these libraries installed with Cydia updates after the phone is jailbroken?

I love my 3GS as much as the next person so I don't want to risk a bad experience with the unofficial jailbreak but purplera1n is so much simpler from what I've been reading..

Discussion and replies are appreciated. I appologize if this is considered highjacking the thread, but thought it was would be appropriate to generate some discussion on the technical/user experience issues surrounding the two jailbreak solutions..

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
There were missing patches from the purplera1n JB for less than 1 day. The purplera1n JB has been fully functional since July 4.

What is an "official jailbreak" anyway? Just because the Dev Team typically is the release source for jailbreak tools, doesn't mean they are the only viable source. Keep in mind that George Hotz was the first hacker to unlock the iPhone. Here's an NPR interview George Hotz gave back in 2007 -- at the time, he was 17.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Matt74: I completely agree about the "official jailbreak" ... that's why I put it in quotes. I am glad to hear purplera1n is stable. I only brought it up because I want to go with the best solution possible.. right now purplera1n is probably best for me personally. Obviously I'm a third party observer like most of the Internet but it looks like the Dev Team needs to stop putting themselves up on a pedestal, especially if they've got competition in the jailbreak tools space.

Thanks for the reply.

How about this iBEC and iBSS .. well BS.. is this recommended for both jailbreaks or just more dev team ramblings? Seems purplera1n is much easier to achieve.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
You do not need either for current JBs. You need those files to ensure that with future firmware updates you'll still have the ability to JB your phone. Might turn out you never need them, but it's a nice safety precaution.

Purplera1n is easier if you ask me... just click 1 button and then wait. Just need to make sure you do a complete upgrade in Cydia when you're done, but that's something you should always do regardless of the JB version.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I've already chosen my winner for the nerd fight.

Geohot wins, hands down.

I jailbroke my 3G (OS 3.0) using redsn0w, and the first time I went through it, I had a heart attack. When it came time to manually enter into DFU/recovery mode, I think I left a wet spot on the chair. I was doubting myself the entire time, panic had set in because I didn't want to mess up and have an iBrick, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, especially during the "delivering payload" part.

With purplera1n, I hit the button, listened to my computer make a couple of noises, Nd then looked at my iPhone, and said "That's it?!?"

"It's so easy a caveman could do it."

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
It's curious that the Dev Team has yet to even post something on their blog about the redsn0w release. I wonder if they're debating how to word things... weather to give credit to geohot or snub him.

IMHO, they need to give serious credit to geohot and offer some sort of valid reason for their JB release. If they are adding nothing to the JB, then it's definitely going to come across and an ego release.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating what one to use tonight when I get home, my 3GS isn't my active phone right now until AT&T finishes making the change so I can SIM swap anytime I want but I NEED louder SMS/E-mail alerts on it when I do back to using it. I missed way too many emails from my boss because I didn't hear them. I'm just not sure what method to use to jailbreak and after that, how to change the SMS/E-Mail tone to one I already have in mp3 format.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Found this post on another forum.... anyone see the contradiction here?

This seems much more stable than purplera1n but I seem to have lost wi-fi anybody know how to fix this?

Seeing a lot of posts on other forums where people are reporting issues with redsn0w hanging on reboot.

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I am new to the whole iPhone scene. I got my 3GS the Friday AFTER they came out.. and previously had a Blackberry.

I been keeping up to date with the iPhone since the 3G when I tried to get one and wasn't due for an upgrade.. but I have been keeping up to date more so when I was eligible for an upgrade in May and was hearing rumors about a "new" iphone. I waited, and got it. (3GS- but wish it was that image gizmodo had "leaked").

Anyway-
Around the end of May when I really started browsing tipb, I was hearing alot of talk about the Dev Team. They seemed like the ones with the winning jailbreak, and pretty much the only ones mentioned- considering I never heard of purplera1n or the guy that made it since sometime earlier this week.

I was excited when purplera1n was released, but was a little hesitant because it wasn't from the Dev Team. I was very unsure of what to do.. until I plugged the 3GS in and made it rain.
PurpleRa1n took over and within in 10 minutes my iPhone was jailbroken. Today, I started running winterboard.

As easy as that was.. I then started thinking of restoring my iPhone and re-breaking with redsn0w.

After looking into it more, Im going to leave it alone for now. Purplera1n really couldn't be any easier and seems glitch free. Purplera1n ftmfw!

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to use redsn0w, but since I had already upgraded to 3.1, I needed to downgrade to 3.0 to jailbreak. With the 3.0 betas we used quickpwn to reboot out of recovery once we got the error code (with the 3GS it's 1015 btw), I tried using iRecovery for windows...but it would not find my iPhone. Purplera1n does it's thing in recovery mode and then boots it back up...so I ended up using purplera1n to jailbreak and complete my downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0.

I'm loving having sbsettings and sms quick reply and quick send (iRealSMS). Apple really should license these things and add them officially. Wouldn't it be great o have all the jailbreak goodies with full apple support.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW