Jailbreak question - updating

tulliver

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
If you are jailbroken and Apple releases new firmware, do you have to restore before you update your iPhone or can you just update? tia

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I have always just run the Apple update over the jailbreak. You lose all your jailbreak apps of course (IIRC, they are still there but you just can't see them). Of course if you're talking about upgrading to 3.0, I think the "safe" recommendation was to delete all your Cydia apps first (partially because they will just be taking up space that you can't recover until you JB again).

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
At the very least, upgrading a JB iPhone will result in the loss of disk space. At the worst, you'll have a phone that performs poorly or acts strange.

It's better to restore your iphone to the new firmware, and set it up as a new phone, and then perform a new JB. The only difference to a restore and an update is that an update preserves additional data/settings.

rosselliot

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Matt 74. Best just to restore and start over, that's what I do. just write down all the apps you've downloaded and you'll be good to go when you're back in jailbreak world, spend 30 minutes redownloading everything and you're scott free!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR