SUPER EASY method for getting Cycorder Videos on your CPU W/O SSH'ing, IN MP4 Format!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
This guide will teach you how to get a iPhone and iPod compatible MP4 file from the videos you record with Cycorder onto your harddrive, WITHOUT SSH'ing into your phone. In fact, you don't even have to connect your device to your computer.

Ok, I'm not going to lie to you - there are a GOOD AMOUNT of steps to this little mini-tutorial, but once everything is set up correctly, the entire process is complete in less than 2 minutes.

ALSO, please note - I have only done this and confirmed this for Windows (Vista + XP), so for all you MAC guys, try at your own risk.

Step 1: Jailbreak your phone, obviously.

Step 2: Download and install Cycorder specifically through Cydia.

Step 3: Download and install PixelPipe from the legitimate AppStore.

Step 4: Download and install PPVideoEnabler from Cydia specifically.

Step 5: Set up both an account for YouTube, and an account for PixelPipe (the "PP" in "PPVideoEnabler")

Step 6: SOMETIMES, there will be "authentication" issues with PixelPipe. Follow their instructions, about going into settings for PixelPipe, set the options they tell you to "about reset upon exit" or some similar options.

Step 7: Go into PixelPipe, and upload a video directly to YouTube (after you set YouTube as one of your destinations in PixelPipe)

Step 8: Now, download and install Mozilla Firefox on your computer. Just go to google.com, type in "firefox download" and follow all instructions.

Step 9: Now, go to google.com on your computer, and type in "greasemonkey", find it, download and install it. It's a Firefox add-on that allows you to add javascript on-the-fly modifications to websites.

Step 10: After you install "greasemonkey", follow all prompts, re-start Firefox.

Step 11: Go to this URL:
hxxp://www.teknobites.com/2008/04/13/download-youtube-videos-as-mp4-files/

Remove the "XX" in the http header.

Step 12: Follow their instructions and install that javascript into the Firefox, and re-start it again.

Step 13: Go to YouTube and start downloading your MP4's, all nice and pre-converted for you, and ready to be added to the iPhone or iPod (they're compatible)

ALSO, just for the record, I know that some of you may know this method, but it doesn't have to work just for your videos, it can be any video on YouTube. Also, when you mention "SSH'ing into your phone", it scares the **** out of a lot of people.

That's why I posted this "how-to", for all the people who want to keep it simple and not go rummaging around inside their phones directories. Please don't flame me if you already know how to do this, there are a lot of people who don't, believe it or not.

gary_gnu

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Also, when you mention "SSH'ing into your phone", it scares the **** out of a lot of people.

Not nearly as much as the idea of using YouTube as an intermediary for any videos I want to get off my phone does. You've got to admit, this workaround leaves a little bit to be desired in the privacy and data-security fields.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Quite true, but the good news about that is that on YouTube, once you upload it, a) you can set your profile to private so that no one else can view the videos, and b) log in and delete the files after you download them to your cpu, so its basically like you have a little mobile database of your videos until whenever you're good and ready to access them. *chuckle*

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Anything that requires 13 steps and uploading to a website does not really count as "Super Easy" in my book. A far easier method for Windows users is to download and install iPhone Browser on your PC and navigate to "/var/mobile/Media/Videos". Once there you can set a bookmark for easy return. Just right click on your MOV files and save to your PC. Voila! Now THAT was easy!

//code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/downloads/list

spreck

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
the method he is talking about converts the file to mp4, the

Anything that requires 13 steps and uploading to a website does not really count as "Super Easy" in my book. A far easier method for Windows users is to download and install iPhone Browser on your PC and navigate to "/var/mobile/Media/Videos". Once there you can set a bookmark for easy return. Just right click on your MOV files and save to your PC. Voila! Now THAT was easy!

the method LVCIFER is talking about converts the file to mp4, the default format for video playback on your apple devices. yes.. if you just want to watch the files on your computer. iPhome Browser is great. but if you want to sync your videos via itunes for playback on your devices, this is the work around.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
1) The guide is mostly setups. Once they're completed, the entire process takes less than 3 minutes, and is "super easy".

2) Why would you want to convert with iTunes when YouTube saves you the trouble by doing it for you, and gives you a smaller filesize?

dieselboy28

May 1, 2009
Visit site

Well said sir.

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Also, scatterbrain, all iPhone Browser is, quite simply, IS SSH'ing with a GUI...

And your point is?

Why would you want to convert with iTunes when YouTube saves you the trouble by doing it for you, and gives you a smaller filesize?.

I can't vouch for file size, but I wonder why anybody would want to go to the trouble of uploading a video file to YouTube just to have it converted to MP4 when iTunes/Quicktime works just fine.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My point is that this little guide was to show people how to do this WITHOUT SSH'ing. Your method mentioned SSH'ing. Kinda defeats the purpose of a guide with NO SSH'ing, doesn't it?

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I NEVER mentioned SSHing. I talked about the foolhardiness of uploading videos to YouTube to have them converted when the entire thing can be done on your local PC.

BTW - iPhone Browser isn't SSH. See Matt's great post again in case you failed to understand it the first time.

forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-jailbreak-central/173723-jb-ssh-gurus-technical-question-you.html#post1492028

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Didn't you mention iPhone Browser?

Didn't you agree with me when I said that all the iPhone Browser was is a SSH with a GUI?

So in turn, wouldn't that also be stating that your method uses SSH?

I'm not sure where you're coming from here...

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Long story short, "YOUR" method is the exact same one that everyone uses. Throw a rock in the forum and chances are you'll hit a thread about getting the files to your HDD with SSH.

The method I posted above puts the files directly onto your HDD, without even connecting the device to your CPU. It doesn't waste your time converting anything. (Because we all know how FAST iTunes is when you convert anything!)

It's already optimized for online upload to other social sites LIKE YouTube, and because of it's filesize, you can even simply email it to people.

Most importantly, ONCE EVERYTHING IS PROPERLY SETUP from the little tutorial, it literally takes less than 3 minutes, from SART TO FINISH, to get the MP4 file on your CPU, simply by clicking a button directly on the YouTube site.

You said you were coming from a place of rationality, but a) it seems like you're trying to pick a fight (which is against the TOS for this forum) and b) what can be more rational than simplicity?

Why don't you ask people the following question: What settings do you use for iPod and iPhone compatible video conversion in iTunes? What resolutions? What framerate? What container?

And when THE AVERAGE PERSON stares at you like you're an alien, remember what I said about simplicity.

:)

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
That's great that your method provides so many advantages. I think I'll just stick to the one that works well for me.

As far as picking a fight, my intentions couldn't be further from that. I just don't appreciate anybody trying attribute words or ideas to me that didn't originate with me.

Peace out
Scatterbrain

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well, ultimately, that's what it's all about: people using what feels comfortable to them. I agree totally with that because as I said, there are a lot of people who crap their pants when you mention ANY form of SSH (even though iPhone Browser is not ~technically~ SSH'ing. )

I never said my way was the BEST way, just a different one to accomplish a desired goal is all.

I PERSONALLY cannot use the iPhone Browser method, because when I save the file to my HDD, it has a horrible hiss and static in the background that makes it unwatchable and actually pops my speakers. That's why I researched alternate ways of getting a watchable video file to my CPU.

Ultimately, everyone SHOULD do what they're comfortable with and what works for them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal