Unlocked/jailbroken and prepaid?doable?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Hey folks, I have an iPhone 2G here that I'm going to give to a good friend of mine. :D Problem is, he can't do AT&T's ridiculous monthly pricing! :mad: The phone he has now is a Virgin mobile prepaid. He doesn't necessarily have to go with that network, in fact he'd be fine with Cingular/AT&T's pay-as-you-go plan, but he does need to set the phone up with a prepaid plan. I have never done this before, and could definitely use your wisdom! I did a search on threads but didn't find one that fits, if you could point me to one I'd be thrilled, or if you have the knowledge just sitting there in your brain I'd be extremely grateful if you shared that. Either way, I have no idea where else to look for the info.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

P.S. When I unlock it for him do you think I should jailbreak it too (or can one not be done without the other in any case)? :confused: Thanks again!

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I don't have the knowledge just sitting in my brain, but have you thought about going to the AT&T store and asking them, or calling their customer support?

Just a thought in case you don't get an answer here.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I don't have the knowledge just sitting in my brain, but have you thought about going to the AT&T store and asking them, or calling their customer support?

Just a thought in case you don't get an answer here.

Yup! Thought of it?and didn't do it. Because I am under the distinct impression that they will not help me unlock and/or jailbreak their cash cow. I'm pretty certain that AT&T doesn't want THEIR iPhones on anything but the full-priced AT&T plans. (I will probably still ask them as a last resort if I don't get help here, but I'm pretty confident in the abilities of our online iPhone community and hoping I won't have to.)

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I found out the particulars: AT&T doesn't have internet service on their prepaid plans. So, I went ahead and unlocked the phone using ultrasn0w and plan to get a US Cellular SIM card or a T-Mobile SIM card for it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Okay, so here's how it turned out: terrific! T-Mobile in Hagerstown's Valley Mall told me that they can't guarantee it will work (which I'm sure they have to say to cover their butts) and it will be $30.00 non-refundable, which includes the SIM and activation. I bought the SIM, and lo, what did I see? Why, bars! And a perky little T-Mobile symbol next to them! Now we got the Sidekick plan which has unlimited texting and internet, both of which work fine on the iPhone, as do the codes for time left and to add minutes! The only thing, in fact, that does NOT seem to work are emoji. A very small price to pay for a fully functional iPhone on a T-Mobile plan!

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Yup! Thought of it?and didn't do it. Because I am under the distinct impression that they will not help me unlock and/or jailbreak their cash cow. I'm pretty certain that AT&T doesn't want THEIR iPhones on anything but the full-priced AT&T plans. (I will probably still ask them as a last resort if I don't get help here, but I'm pretty confident in the abilities of our online iPhone community and hoping I won't have to.)

Well you need to jailbreak to unlock and I would try t-mobile. I am from Canada and on Rogers but I hear that the T has great pre-paid plans. Check out there site.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so here's how it turned out: terrific! T-Mobile in Hagerstown's Valley Mall told me that they can't guarantee it will work (which I'm sure they have to say to cover their butts) and it will be $30.00 non-refundable, which includes the SIM and activation. I bought the SIM, and lo, what did I see? Why, bars! And a perky little T-Mobile symbol next to them! Now we got the Sidekick plan which has unlimited texting and internet, both of which work fine on the iPhone, as do the codes for time left and to add minutes! The only thing, in fact, that does NOT seem to work are emoji. A very small price to pay for a fully functional iPhone on a T-Mobile plan!

HAHA I didn't see your post and I gave you the advice you just took. Lol congrats on the new plan

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Yea, I tried out my 3G on a Cincinnati Bell Wireless prepayed SIM and it worked fine, Edge data and everything. 3G didn't work because CBW doesn't support the same 3G bands as AT&T, but it was still cool knowing people could have that option if they're in the Cincy area.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Update: I suggested that my buddy go ahead and try Icy and Cydia to download jailbroken apps--BIG mistake. He downloaded a game but didn't like it, so he went to delete it, and then everything went to crap! He lives in WV so I can't attempt to restore tonight, but I'm going to try to restore and then re-jailbreak the phone, I hope it isn't bricked forever!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm wonerding too, what is the point of jailbreaking if the jailbreak app designers feel the need to include malicious code?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Update again: restored the phone, installed redsn0w WITHOUT Icy or Cydia (just checked the unlock box ONLY), and re-synced. Works like a charm with T-Mobile service again, it just looks like he's going to have to go without all of those juicy jailbroken apps! Too much trouble, more than it's worth.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner