Stupid Question: what's the difference between PwnageTool and Quickpwn?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
QuickPwn is designed to jailbreak an iPhone without restoring it -- it uses a copy of the IPSW for the firmware you already have on the iPhone to modify the iPhone to be jailbreaked without having to re-install the complete IPSW onto it. It is not able to update the iPhone to a new firmware version. So if you have a jailbreaked iPhone, there's nothing useful that QuickPwn can do to it.

Pwnage Tool is designed to put the jailbreak and unlock software into an IPSW so that the iPhone can be restored with it. Pwnage Tool can be used to update an iPhone to a new version, and Pwnage Tool does work in conjunction with an iPhone that is already jailbreaked.

I got this from CREDIT: Pwnd firmware not supported by Quickpwn - Mac Forums

m3lover1

Trusted Member
Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I've jailbroken my iPhone 3G before (2.2.1). I've just completely restored my iPhone, updated to 3.0, and set up my iPhone as new. If I want to jailbreak again, to 3.0, i can use this recently released Pwnage Tool right? Thanks

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I've jailbroken my iPhone 3G before (2.2.1). I've just completely restored my iPhone, updated to 3.0, and set up my iPhone as new. If I want to jailbreak again, to 3.0, i can use this recently released Pwnage Tool right? Thanks

the pwnage tool that was released today can only be used with a mac, so if you have a mac, then, yes you can use this. but if you have a pc like me then you have to patiently wait until the pc version is released.