Restore JB 3G before installing 3.0?

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna do a full restore to wipe everything off my iPhone first. If you just do an upgrade, data and settings can remain on the phone. Who knows what settings will not work so well with 3.0?

With a big change like this, I think it's good to start from a clean slate.

darklingwater

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
This is just as standard as any other upgrade. If you don't restore first then you lose up to 500MB of space until a restore is done. This is because Cydia moves files around. If you connect the phone to iTunes, click restore, NOT upgrade. It will download 3.0 first and then try to restore and install 3.0. except right now the iTunes activation server is down because of the masses of people trying to upgrade. The Dev-Team has promised it's ok to upgrade for jailbreakers and unlockers, they just won't release any tools until Friday.

jared52

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I restored to 2.2.1 before I did the 3.0 upgrade. Should that have erased all my old Cydia apps or are they still there somewhere. I am not sure I am going to rejailbreak.

darklingwater

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Anytime you restore or upgrade it will wipe/break your jailbreak. If you want to rejailbreak after an upgrade, install aptbackup from cydia beforehand. Then run it, click backup, and it will create a small .txt file in the iphone's system which holds through a restore/upgrade. After you upgrade, just install aptbackup again and run the restore function. It will install everything you had dl'd through cydia, including sources. Some minor tweaks for setting might be needed.

I have read in places that a restore doesn't wipe all jb'd info from the phone and that the only way to do that is restore, erase all data, and restore again. It might be true, but if not adds an extra hour or two to the whole process.

darklingwater

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So a restore doesn't wipe the Cydia apps out? I would like to reclaim that space without jailbreaking if I can.

No, restore does wipe it out, including the 500MB of space Cydia takes up when moving files. There is just a way to save a list of Cydia apps IF you want to re-jailbreak. I don't know why you wouldn't want to though.

Basically if you restored and then upgraded to 3.0 then you should have the newest FW with the most free space available.

jared52

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
No, restore does wipe it out, including the 500MB of space Cydia takes up when moving files. There is just a way to save a list of Cydia apps IF you want to re-jailbreak. I don't know why you wouldn't want to though.

Basically if you restored and then upgraded to 3.0 then you should have the newest FW with the most free space available.

The only reason is my phone was slow and I had to reboot alot with JB. I might re-jailbreak but it's running so fast right now, I would hate to lose that! I have a 2G, BTW.

RaySuave

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Anytime you restore or upgrade it will wipe/break your jailbreak. If you want to rejailbreak after an upgrade, install aptbackup from cydia beforehand. Then run it, click backup, and it will create a small .txt file in the iphone's system which holds through a restore/upgrade. After you upgrade, just install aptbackup again and run the restore function. It will install everything you had dl'd through cydia, including sources. Some minor tweaks for setting might be needed.

I have read in places that a restore doesn't wipe all jb'd info from the phone and that the only way to do that is restore, erase all data, and restore again. It might be true, but if not adds an extra hour or two to the whole process.

Im upgrading firmware tonight and plan on doing the restore thing but I have read some tutorials on upgrading firmware of an already JB iphone and it stresses that after the firmware is upgraded, to JB the iphone immediately before restoring your phone from a back-up. The thing is I wont be able to do this since the pwnage tools havent been released...........I would like to know how important this step is since I was planning on just JBing when the tools come out, then restoring my cydia apps using apt back-up.

Here is the link to the tutorial, STEP 6 is the section I am refferring to about JBing before restoring a back-up.

iphonedownloadblog.xxx/2008/09/19/upgrade-a-jailbroken-iphone/ (replace X's with "com")....cant post links yet.

Last edited:

darklingwater

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Im upgrading firmware tonight and plan on doing the restore thing but I have read some tutorials on upgrading firmware of an already JB iphone and it stresses that after the firmware is upgraded, to JB the iphone immediately before restoring your phone from a back-up. The thing is I wont be able to do this since the pwnage tools havent been released...........I would like to know how important this step is since I was planning on just JBing when the tools come out, then restoring my cydia apps using apt back-up.

Here is the link to the tutorial, STEP 6 is the section I am refferring to about JBing before restoring a back-up.

iphonedownloadblog.xxx/2008/09/19/upgrade-a-jailbroken-iphone/ (replace X's with "com")....cant post links yet.

At this point, since there are no JB tools available because the Dev-Team is working on some last minute issues with Youtube, we all have to restore from backup until they're out. It's ok. Since a reset only takes about 30 mins max, you could always do a fresh reset once the tools are out, JB, and then restore from backup. That way there won't be any lingering issues. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

As far as how easy it is to do, it depends on your setup. Do you run Mac or PC? Do you have a first gen or 3G, or an iTouch? The basic process of reset, JB with PWN, restore, sync is overall really easy but takes a while. Throw in something like needing to unlock or trying to do it on a first gen iTouch and you really have some issues.

It is worth it! There still are and always will be more options available to those that JB. Just make sure if you ever need to have the phone fixed you reset and wipe before you take it to the store. I'm dying right now because I have 3.0 which is great, but can't JB and am stuck without my pretty phone and my extra apps. And since I'm not upgrading to the 3GS anytime soon, I want my Cycorder back!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner