Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts

Default Jailbreak before or after updating to OS 3.0?

I'm new on here, so I apologize if this question has been answered already. I'm thinking about jailbreaking my 3G, but wanted to get some opinions on whether to update first, or jailbreak first. What are the pros and cons? Thanks!
    iPhone Newbie

42 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

As you are new around here I am sure you will not get a lot of posts here as 1. The question does not make sense. There is no jailbreaking software for iPhone 3.0 OS yet and if you jailbreak and then upgrade your jailbreak OS will be replaced with 3.0. and 2. When starting off in a forum you should probably read as many posts as possible to become familiar with the material. Just a word of wise because there are people around here that will label you and tear apart your posts with no remorse.
    iPhone Intermediate

293 Posts

Actually, there is a jailbreak for 3.0 and iTunes 8.2... the dev team has confirmed the existence, but obviously isn't releasing the tools until after Apple officially releases the 3.0 firmware.

To answer the original poster's question, you jailbreak WHILE upgrading to 3.0. The jailbreak process modifies the firmware image you are installing on your phone during the installation.
    iMore Genius

3,337 Posts

I would wait to jailbreak after 3.0 because it is coming out tomorrow and jailbreak tools will probably be out a few days after.