Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default iPhone 2.2.1 legally unlocked

This might have been answered a million times, but Iíve searched all around the internet and watched videos on youtube and I canít seem to find the answer that I want. This forum looks pretty helpful, so I thought I would register and see if anyone can give me some answers.

I very recently purchased a 8gb iPhone off eBay and, yes I do have to say itís a very sexy phone and I donít mind paying $1AU at the apps store, but I wish to use apps that arenít available there.

The phone originally was locked to the Telstra network (Australia), but was paid to be unlocked and now Iím using it with Vodafone.

The iPhone is running FW version 2.2.1 (5H11) with modem FM 02.30.03, is it possible to jailbreak this phone but have it still unlocked? Itís been legally unlocked so Iím not sure what to do yet.

I havenít tried to jailbreak it yet because I want to get enough information from people first before I start playing around with a $1000AU phone?

Any help would be great, thank you in advance.
    Shaun J.

6,816 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by legally unlocked... but either way if you restored it and updated to 2.2.1 you will not be able to software unlock it. You would need a hardware unlock. Any restore for whatever reason will now lock that phone and like I said, and hardware unlock would be needed since it is at 2.2.1. And to be safe, in order to jailbreak - it will require a restore from scratch.