- iPhone Nanite
- 2 Posts
Iphone 3g unlocked questions!!
Hi, im new to this board and some help will be greatly appreciated :]
to start off, i am buying an unlocked iphone on Ebay. Do i just put in a tmobile sim card and start using it right away or do i have to do something?
ive been hearing about people getting their iphones locked. im very concerned and would like to know what cautions i should take. Can i sync the iphone to itunes to sync music/movies or will that lock it? if i sync my iphone at all to itunes will that lock the iphone?
to download apps, do i download apps on itunes and then sync it over to iphone or do i download apps directly on to the iphone? (first iphone user)
if all goes well and i turn off 3g and use the wifi to use internet, do i still pay money for the k/b i downloaded or is it free with wifi?
lets say i wanted to buy some apps and i do online with itunes, is it possible to sync it over to the unlocked iphone?
thank you guys very much and i hope to read some answers!
- 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM #2iPhone Newbie
- 32 Posts
Well I see your gonna turn off 3G so I am assuming you are getting the iPhone 3G
1. Yes you should be able to just pop in your t-mo sim card and should be working.
2 yes it is possible to get the phone "locked" if you update the firmware when you plug in the phone itself to iTunes. When you connect it and asks you to upgrade to firmware 2.2.X dont do it. that will update the Modem Firmware leaving the phone useless to you.
3. The beauty of it is you can do both! download directly on the phone, 10 MB or more require a WiFi connection, or download through iTunes.
4. no you shouldnt be charged for usage if using WiFi because you are not using the Carriers Data.
5. Yes, iTunes doesnt know if your phone is Unlocked or not, so it would work as if it were with At&t
Hope this Helps!
- 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM #4
- 06-05-2009, 09:50 PM #5iPhone Nanite
- 6 Posts
can anyone help me with this situation
I recently bought an iphone 3g from a friend who switched sim cards to use on his new palm treo instead. I asked him whether I should unlock the phone first before I use a att pre paid plan on it. He didn't know the answer. I have two questions:
1. Do I necessarily need to unlock the iphone first before I can put in a new att sim card for pre paid service?
2. Since my friend removed the sim card from the iphone and put it in his new phone could I just insert my new sim into the phone and start using it without accidently charging my friend's bill?