Preparing to jailbreak

bobj85

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
Help! Quell my last fears about jailbreak that I couldn't find answers to in FAQs

A few q's first:

1a) How will I get all my AppStore apps back on? Will they auto-install on sync in iTunes, or do I reinstall them from the applications library in my iTunes?

1b) In particular, will I lose any data I had in todos, etc, or will these data be reinstalled when I put the apps back?

2) Will I lose my notes?

3) If I sync after jailbreaking, this will make my restore profile jailbroken, right? How do I sync after jailbreaking either without overwriting my unjailbroken restore profile or sync and keep both separately?

4) I will have to restore to unjailbroken status when 3.0 comes out, right? How can I keep notes, todos etc when I do this?

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
To answer most of your questions with one answer... you have to start from scratch so yes, you will lose everything. As for your last question, when you update to 3.0 yes, you will lose your jailbreak and yes you do not want to use your restore file - setup as a new iPhone.

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As bad ash said REstore like it is an out of the box iphone and you should have no problem what so ever.

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
When I jailbroke, I did so without restoring. I backed up my data in iTunes just in case and then ran the software. When it was done, I had all my apps and data but now had the Cydia and Installer software as well. My only caution is that if you have a TON of third party apps (more than four pages worth including the main page with the stuff Apple puts on) I would restore before jailbreaking because sometimes the phone will choke on the reboot if you have too many. If you only have three or four pages of apps, I would just run the software. It worked perfectly for me and four of my friends who are all happily jailbroken now. Note: none of this applies if you are also planning on unlocking, I have no experience with attempting to unlock the iPhone!